Maestronet Forums

Matsuda Violin

Doublestop

Matsuda's instruments are pushed pretty heavily by Bein and Fushi -- I believe he's a resident maker there. (Or at least this was true the last time I looked at instruments by him.)

I played several of his instruments, about fifteen years ago, while looking for a violin for myself, and again about ten years ago, while helping my little sister look for a violin. I did not like any of the instruments as much as other modern violins I tried in that price range (about $12K-15K, if I recall correctly).

However, a number of youth symphony colleagues of mine instruments of his and were happy with them. (Note that these are definitely not student-class instruments, though, nor are they priced that way.)

Thanks for the referral, mlbouquet and FrankH.

Originally posted by Lydia Leong:

Matsuda's instruments are pushed pretty heavily by Bein and Fushi -- I believe he's a resident maker there. (Or at least this was true the last time I looked at instruments by him.)

Ms. Leong, Matsuda instruments are "pushed" by Bein and Fushi because Matsuda lives in Barrington, which is a suburb of Chicago where B&F is based.

I played several of his instruments, about fifteen years ago, while looking for a violin for myself, and again about ten years ago, while helping my little sister look for a violin. I did not like any of the instruments as much as other modern violins I tried in that price range (about $12K-15K, if I recall correctly).

Can you elaborate on why you did not like the Matsuda instrument? I found it to have a big, powerful and resonant sound although not particularly sweet. I tested a Matsuda along with a Tadioli; the Tadioli sounded anemic by comparison.

Doublestop,

I think you acknowledged owning a Matsuda here back in January, unless I'm misunderstanding your post.

http://fingerboard.maestronet.com/ubb/Foru...TML/000278.html

I get the impression that you're doing a little cheerleading here, and I think that we will all benefit when everyone tries to make a full disclosure of their affiliations. This is not to suggest that your opinion isn't valid.

Mark

quote:

Originally posted by Doublestop:

Ms. Leong, Matsuda instruments are "pushed" by Bein and Fushi because Matsuda lives in Barrington, which is a suburb of Chicago where B&F is based.

Can you elaborate on why you did not like the Matsuda instrument? I found it to have a big, powerful and resonant sound although not particularly sweet. I tested a Matsuda along with a Tadioli; the Tadioli sounded anemic by comparison.

There are a ton of other makers in the Chicago area, and B&F does not heavily promote their instruments. In fact, B&F's home page claims that Matsuda (and Michael Darnton) are "closely affiliated" makers, implying some kind of special status.

When I was at B&F many years ago, looking for a violin, they insisted that I try some Matsudas before anything else. I was a teenager; my parents got pushed into taking one home for a week's trial, despite the fact that I didn't like any of them.

I'm not saying that they're not good violins; they sound/play fine for an instrument in their price range. But I didn't think any of them was exceptional, in terms of either sound or playing qualitites. Nor was the tone to my tastes. There wasn't really anything that I found *objectionable*, though -- merely, "yeah, this is okay, but it's nothing that really grabs me."

There are tons of very good instruments in that price range. Compare as many as you cam -- dozens, if possible, and by different makers.

Also, I wouldn't count sound under the ear too heavily, in terms of power -- I've heard plenty of instruments with tons of power under the ear, but no real carrying power.

I hadn't seen Mark's post before I posted my reply.

In that case... I'm curious what else you tried, other than a Tadioli, when you bought your Matsuda, Doublestop, and why you picked it.

I have heard friends use Matsudas to do concertos with orchestra, and don't recall any projection problems, by the way, so I'm perfectly willing to believe your instrument carries well -- I'm just wondering if the Tadioli does as well, though it might not be obvious under the ear.

I have played a few Tetsuo Matsuda violins and I think that they are wonderful sounding violins. Of the 6 or so that I have played within the last 4 years, I have found them to be very consistant in tone and workmanship quality. I also beleive these sell in the 12K-15K range. I had one come through my shop here for a new bridge and have also seen a few at Robertson's Violin Shop (Albuquerque, NM). I highly recommend his violins.

Regards,

Joseph Santiago

quote:

Originally posted by mlbouquet:

Doublestop,

I think you acknowledged owning a Matsuda here back in January, unless I'm misunderstanding your post.

I get the impression that you're doing a little cheerleading here, and I think that we will all benefit when everyone tries to make a full disclosure of their affiliations. This is not to suggest that your opinion isn't valid.

Mark

No intention to lead any cheer here. I only wanted to see how others feel about this one particular maker. As noted in my original posting, I was looking for other's opinion and experience. And please note my one comment on the Matsuda was in my response to Ms. Leong and it was not what I would call glowing as I tried to be objective.

I also own a no name old violin, a Jeandel bow, a Messing bow, a Sartory bow, and a couple Musafia cases. I have a Wolf shoulder rest as well as a Kun. I use Dominant strings. My teacher was a classmate of Perlman's under DeLay and Galamian. How's that for full disclosure?

quote:

Originally posted by Lydia Leong:

In that case... I'm curious what else you tried, other than a Tadioli, when you bought your Matsuda, Doublestop, and why you picked it.

I have heard friends use Matsudas to do concertos with orchestra, and don't recall any projection problems, by the way, so I'm perfectly willing to believe your instrument carries well -- I'm just wondering if the Tadioli does as well, though it might not be obvious under the ear.

Good point about the sound under the ear! The Tadioli may carry just as well.

I picked the Matsuda based on hearing and playing one that belongs to my teacher. I also did some research on American makers who have built certain reputations such as David Folland, Francis Kuttner, David Gusset, Greg Alf, Scott Cao, etc. BTW, I did NOT buy my teacher's Matsuda. I commissioned one from the maker directly.

• 21 years later...

I own a Matusda Strad model violin, single piece back. Worked at Bein & Fushi when a young man as well. There, I learned much about Scientology and well made stringed instruments that sound great. 

There's a reason why Beckers and Matsuda's increase in value over time. 

I love my Matusda. Everyone mistakes it for something more expensive.