Maestronet Forums

Yeah! Got my Eudoxas!

Brian52555

Wow, I finally got my Eudoxas. I've tried them out for about 2 days. Although they are not yet fully broken in yet, I can safely say the are a LOT better than my old tonicas and stuff. I only hope that the tone of the strings will become more refined in the next week. After all, I've only been playing them for two days.

The good thing is that they've mellowed out my violin a bit, something i was hoping they'd accomplish.

To my surprise, the Eudoxas respond MUCH quicker! I'm serious, the gut must really make a difference. Everytime I touch the string, the sound response is close to instantaneous. It's not a harsh explosive sound either. In fact, the strings have mellowed out my violin quite a bit. Nice, nice strings. Yes, you can vary the tonal quality a lot.

They're a lot better than tonicas. I do like tonicas better than dominants. The eudoxas for me were just the next logical step.

I actually tried Eudoxas and they almost drove me crazy...I felt like I had to tune all the time, and the G string would seemed to vibrate with the regular pitch and then as the sound decayed I could hear it almost vibrating a quarter step flat. They did get a very mellow tone, but one that proved to not have enough of an 'edge' for me.

I just think I don't want to deal with gut strings again smile.gif

I have an old very good quality German Maggini copy which sounds absolutely wonderful with Dominants. I decided to try Eudoxas just for the heck of it, and I was so sorely disappointed.... even after a 2-week break-in period. They had the slowest response across the G, D, and A, and the A actually whistled like a Goldstahl E. Perhaps it's me... or my violin just doesn't like them... but the impression I get is that gut strings are for very fine instruments played by very experienced violinists.

I quite like the wound E that comes with the set I bought, however....

I used Eudoxas for a long time --years-- on both my fiddle and viola, and they still seem to me to be the benchmark string for sound under your ear.

I finally abandoned them, with regret, but forever, because of their fragility and constant tuning. Ye Gods! The tuning, the tuning, the tuning!

No, to my ear Dominants have a kind of loose-boweled quality to the sound that I don't like, in addition, of course, to their notorious edginess. I have used Tonicas with pleasure, Zyex (my favorite), and I liked a set of Infelds that I tried recently on my fiddle.