• Announcements

• ghunt

Whole Site SSL   03/08/17

Whole site SSL is now turned on and forced for all pages on Maestronet. If you have any problems, please contact the admin team.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fritzdaviolinist

Lafleur bow

6 posts in this topic

Could anybody give me info on Lafleur the bowmaker and how much his violin bows are worth in the market these days? Thank you very much.

From Fairfield I gather that Jacques laFleure was born in Nancy, France in 1757 and died in paris in 1833. He followed Tourte's style in his bow making and his bows were perfect in balance and camber, light in weight, either round or octagonal. The table of 1999 bow prices give $18,000 to $24,000 for bows of Joseph Rene Lafleur.

Auction prices on bows of JR Lafleur given in 1998 Musical Instrument Auction Price Guide are all below $4,000.

Andy

fritzda---

I have no idea! However, auction prices 25% of top retail prices are not that unusual. Retail and auction prices sometimes have cometogether recently as players get into the bidding, but it is (I understand) rather recent and rather rare. Also-perhaps the bows are worn--as most bows that have been played and at least 170 years old are bound to be. That certainly reduces value compared to pristine bows.

Andy

The auction reports don't include valuable information, including such things as authenticity and condition. Often bows at auction have problems such as incorrect frogs, or repaired critical breaks, or completely incorrect attributions which might or might not be identified in the catalogue, but are never mentioned in auction summaries. Bid prices, however, obviously take these unmentioned items into consideration.

[This message has been edited by Michael Darnton (edited 10-12-2000).]