Maestronet Forums

Modern Violins

Violinerrrz

Really interesting. How would you play the violin with the chinrest on the R side? Obviously bowing and fingering with opposite hands but it's just a question. I think it'll be a while before everyone or most people in an orchestra have "different" or "that's ugly" instruments. I'm predicting it'll start out with those colored haired bows and go from there. I don't have enough confidence to buy something out of the ordinary because I think that people would think that I needed attention and that was the reason why I got it instead of just because I like it. A glow in the dark bow would be very cool to have, though.

quote:

Originally posted by PoorDad:

I think some of these we've looked at on this post are really interesting, but I think that long term they'll come and go. Not because they lack merit, but because "we", as a society, are unyielding traditionalists for the most part. Hate to get metaphysical, or...whatever, but I think that "we" are beginning to increase our reverence for the "old" simply because so much of it is disappearing.

Why have guitarists succeeded in keeping the classical guitar and have the electric guitar so established (some are very beautiful by the way) and yet we violinists see electric instruments as gimmicks and passing fads? Electric violins were around before electric guitars but never really caught on in the same way possibly because violinists tend towards conservatism. This is a shame as electric violins still seem in their infancy compared to the developments in electric guitars. It's a shame we continue to hold back electric violin development by our attitudes. These instruments are alternatives NOT REPLACEMENTS! They are used for certain purposes such as playing in high volume environments or in conjunction with electronic effects. They open doors for us violinists!

Perhaps violinist tend towards conservatism because a great deal play in orchestras where a degree of uniformity is called for. Not all of us play in orchestras all the time of course. However, when I play in orchestras with my guitar shaped violin hardly anybody notices. In fact, if you ask a non player 'what is strange about this instrument' they cannot tell (even some violinists take a while to notice, which always amazes me!). I am happy to have it for its unique tone and quirky looks!

No repertoire, no momentum.

Who the heck is writing for electric violin? (that you'd want to hear.)

I play electric guitar, it's alot of fun. Who cares if you make a mistake because it might be an improvement.

This is a mammoth mixture of apples and oranges. There will need to be a birth of independent electric violinists in order for it to catch on. (Angus Young, Dimebag Darrell, James Hetfield... none of them have really studied any music remotely related to classical guitar.)

[This message has been edited by C.B.Fiddler (edited 10-04-2000).]