Sign in to follow this  
JKF

Favorite Singers

All my favorites are popular:

Best Singers/voices

Janis Siegel of the Manhattan Transfer

Bette Midler

Whitney Houston of the late 80's early 90's.

Mandy P.

Barbra S is overrated - very good voice and Broadway singer. When she sings the right stuff. I've herad her try to expand her repertoire and it never worked. Don't get me wrong, I love the bulk of her work.

Siegel and Midler can sing anything any time any where.

Soprano: Celestina Boninsegna, Regiona Pacini, Isobel Baillie, Conchita Supervia, Emma Kirkby

Alto: Irene Minghini-Cattaneo, Kathleen Ferrier

Tenor: Caruso, Melchior, Gervase Elwes, Gerhard Hüsch

Bass, Chaliapin, Ezio Pinza, Friedrich Schorr

Britney Spears! Hehehehehehehahahahahahohohohohohoharharharharharharharharharharharharhehehehehe

hehehehehehehehe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Obviously, I'm just kidding!!!

Favorite singer(s)and piece(s): Dame Kiri singing "Strauss Four Last Songs" and anything Mozart, particularly sacred music like "Exsultate Jubilate". Second would be Barbara Hendricks; she sings a marvelous "Faure Requiem".

JFK, I know it was a long time ago, but if you are still looking for great combinations of voice and violin, I can recomend one of my favourites to you. It is a recording of Itzhak Perlman with Kathleen Battle singing Bach arias. Beautiful. The combination of her georgeous silky voice with Itzhaks unmistakable tone (from the early '90s too) is amazing.

I am a real admirer of Kathy - I have quite a few of her recordings. I love the Spanish Lulluby on her "So Many Stars" albumn.

And of course, Pavarotti. I don't know what else to say about him - his voice is supreme.

Most of my favorite singer have been mentioned... yet, has any of you heard Ramon Vinay? if not go get one of his recordings of Otello (with Toscanini 1947, and Furtwangler 1951), great dark, big voice.

Would you say that Callas sounded like a Del Gesu while Tebaldi had a Strad voice?

-sm

Cecilia Bartoli, Bryn Terfel, Ian Bostridge, Lucia Popp, Dame Janet Baker, Emma Kirkby, Dame Joan Sutherland and Pavarotti in their 1960's recordings, Gerard Sousay, Chris Isaak, Chrissie Hynde, Joe C*o*c*k*er, Van Morrison and a few others.

[This message has been edited by Lenny (edited 11-13-2000).]

My favourite singers are:

Luciano Pavarotti

Kathleen Battle

Cecilia Bartoli (only sometimes)

Non-classical:

Michael Ball (sigh).....

Some of you from England might have heard of him - he has the most amazing voice, it just demands attention!

I wonder if there is another Tucker I have not heard about. If it is Richard Tucker, he was a tenor. I heard him in Singapore ages ago and he had great power.

The Jan Peerce of the early years was really an exciting tenor; no wonder he was Toscanini's favourite tenor.

Lucia Popp, Karina Gauvin, Felicity Lott, Kathleen Battle, Nancy Argenta, Kiri Te Kanawa, Suzie LeBlanc, Jessye Norman, Barbara Bonney, Barbara Hendricks, Maria Zadori for her CD of Vivaldi Motets (including the one featured in 'Shine')

Anne Sofie von Otter, Cecila Bartoli (ditto on the 'only sometimes'), Tatiana Troyanos, Maureen Forrester

Andreas Scholl

Placido Domingo

Bryn Terfl, Alistair Miles, Fischer-Dieskau, Kurt Moll

I have the Bach Album w/ Perlman & Battle, LOVE the 1st & 5th tracks: ( http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00...5583779-1548953 )

-ditto on the 'Queen of the Night' aria. I already bought one recording of Magic Flute hi-lights just for that piece . I think I'll end up with multiple recordings for that one. Same with the final trio from 'Der Rosenkavalier'

I don't really feel as though I'm into vocal music as much as I am into instrumental...... but I think for the most part, it comes down to exposure, although I'm not sure if that's the case with opera- I think I like the music well enough, but am not really into the other aspects of it.

My favorites always seem to change every time I hear a new performer! For the last couple of weeks I've been groovin' to the voices of Anthea Lawrence and Byrn Starr of the group Slainte. Check out "Star of the County Down," Salley Gardens," and "Lakes of Ponchatrain" at: http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/5/slainte.html

They play a couple of pretty mean fiddles too!

I am surprised by how few currently active singers are mentioned in these posts. And I am still more surprised that two such sovereign artists as Dawn Upshaw and Renee Fleming have not yet been mentioned.

It's great to get leads on singers I've never heard of - my favorites: Yeah, Linda Ronstadt, Fats Domino, Tom Waits and Bob Dylan! For sheer beauty: Art Garfunkel, James Taylor and this lady who sings in a church choir. Best of all, my 12-year old daughter Lea, who sings during most of her waking hours.