Maestronet Forums

Crystal, Taco Bell with Love

Sebastian

Crystal, my first memory is of Taco Bell. Honest. We lived in Southern California at the time, and I remember vividly the stucco facade and the cream-colored liners which overlapped the trashcans on either side of the front entrance. I remember the blue sky and the warmth of the sunshine on the windshield and sinking my little primary teeth into that crunchy shell, crisp lettuce and savory meat. I must have been only two or three years old at the time. (I used to think the nursery rhyme went: "Mary, Mary, quite contrary. How does your garden grow? With taco shells...")

Taco Bell -- much to the amazement of those who know me -- remains my favorite fast-food restaurant.

Have you tried the new nachos? Much better chips than in the past, not like good homemade chips one would find in a family-owned cantina, but close enough for fast food. The standard taco is my favorite item, but a friend turned me onto the charms of the Meximelt. Mmm. Yummy. I used to enjoy the Big Beef Burrito, but they have taken it off the menu. (You can still order it, but chances are you'll end up with a Big Beef Burrito Supreme, which of course is entirely different.) Their new Border Taco isn't bad either. It is a standard taco, but with zesty "pepper-jack" sauce.

So, I am indeed a fellow Taco Bell enthusiast.

Any others out there?

Sebastian

PS: What has this to do with stringed instruments? Nothing at all. But if that bothers you, you can always play violin music in the background while you munch away on your tacos, or -- better yet -- learn to play "Ay, Ay, Ay, Ay" by heart!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I saw your post, I wasn't sure if I was going to get bashed for slamming Taco Bell on a different thread. I thought you might moonlight there during the day or something.

Yes, I have tried the new nachos. They are the best. My husband and kids and I used to live in Michigan. WE've been in Virginia now for 2 years and when we used to think of places we might move, it had one criteria: it had to have a Taco Bell. When my husband accepted a new job here in our town, we came to check it out and saw that it did indeed have a rather nice Taco Bell. We both saw it and nodded to each other, "this town will be fine".

I really don't like starting new threads, so this thread seemed most appropriate for this question:

HKV, who is Snakey Rattler? i will understand if you don't answer, but I'm just curious since his/her posts seem to be a little odd.

PS crystal, the nice people at Taco bell never mess up my order. they like me.

[This message has been edited by River (edited 09-20-2000).]

This will be an interesting thread. Let's see just how far off the subject of strings we can get. This thread is officially open to all who wish to say anything at all about anything at all.

River: You're lucky. Most of the time if it's something that's pretty straight forward like ONE REGULAR TACO, NOTHING ADDED AND NOTHING TAKEN OFF, then they might get that right. It's about 50/50 ratio. But if you should dare ask them to add sour cream or remove onions, their head starts to spin like Linda Blair in the Exorcist.

[This message has been edited by crystal (edited 09-20-2000).]

I like to get 6 soft tacos, and my wife usually gets a Mexican pizza and/or a soft taco supreme at Taco Bell. I like Taco Bell because it's usually the only place still open at night when I leave a gig!!

Speaking of real Mexican food, there's a restaurant in Baton Rouge, LA called Superior Grill, and it probably has the closest thing to genuine Mexican food on this side of Texas! My wife goes nuts over that place...since we moved from Baton Rouge, she's having Superior withdrawls!

Brandilion - how I envy your location! I have a map of your fine state on my office wall, about two feet from where I'm sitting right now. I have been near Rio Rancho when I've been out to NM. I've hiked in Sandia and Bandelier (before the fires). Wish I could move out there!

In NJ, we have a million Taco Bells, but having experienced "real" Mexican and Nuevo Mexican food, I just can't bring myself to eat at one. Plus, they don't seem to serve margaritas cool.gif

- Greta

[This message has been edited by Greta Schmidt (edited 09-21-2000).]

River: You're lucky. Most of the time if it's something that's pretty straight forward like ONE REGULAR TACO, NOTHING ADDED AND NOTHING TAKEN OFF, then they might get that right. It's about 50/50 ratio. But if you should dare ask them to add sour cream or remove onions, their head starts to spin like Linda Blair in the Exorcist.

LOLOL!!!!!! Tell me about it! My Mom says I am the reason Burger King stopped saying "Have it your way" for a while! Taco Bell hates to see me coming their way!

In defense of the kids that work at fast food places, I think often the training is really lacking.

Our son used to work for a well known burger chain while in high school. The kids were terribly overworked as employees were constantly quiting or not showing up.

When our son was a brand new employee, a grill person didn't show up so our son was put on the grill and had to make sandwiches, and he was clueless as to what went on what, or even how things were cooked.

His training that night consisted of the boss running past him periodically and shouting "What the H*** are you doing????"

Our son was constantly being scheduled too many hours while in school, mainly because he was one of the few employees that were dependable and did their job. He had to threaten to quit periodically just to get a decent schedule.

He used to have nightmares about sandwiches, and once he had one about quiting, and having the boss chase him with a car down a dark alley.

Really, those jobs are sure not peaches and cream, and some of these kids really deserve a pat on the back for going through what they do to make a few bucks.

I agree!!! Standing ovation for you Mister Yankee! Never done fast food, but I was a waitress. I swear I've had every crappy job invented with idiot loser bosses for an added bonus. I try go out of my way to be nice to people in jobs that I wouldn't want....especially to the ones who could mess with my food if they wanted to smile.gif

[This message has been edited by River (edited 09-21-2000).]

I too used to work for a larger hamburger chain, about 10 years ago, and what you say is true, they really do work the dependable ones right to the bones. On top of applying for a part time job (Morgan was only 8 months old when I went there)that turned into 40 hours a week on my third week, I worked with managers who were not happy with my limitations even though they wouldn't put me anywhere else.They put me on drive thru and "worked" with me. Often times this meant that even though I was the one taking orders they would jump in and take orders as I was handing out change or dispersing the food, and then getting agnry with me because I could not A) handle the present customer, :) take the next order,and C) tally up the total for the next customer in my head while doing ALL of this! SO the next time your order gets botched up at drive thru, there might be a really good reason behind it, not just that the kid on drive thru is stupid.

But seriously, I wasn't complaining about the employees when I made the comment about them hating to see me heading their way. When I was younger, I hated everything on my food and went to great lengths to keep it off,LOL! That is why Mom used to say "You are the reason they stopped saying have it your way. I am not nearly as fussy in my old age, and I've noticed they have started that slogan up again. Hmm, coincidence? I think not!

I think McDonald's is the all-time record holder for most screw ups!!!! Without exaggerating, I'd have to say that approximately 70% of the time I order something there, it comes to me wrong. Places with the least screw ups for me?? That would be Taco Bell and Sonic.

Last night I left a gig & stopped at the drive thru at Wendy's, and the person said "hold, please" over the speaker. Okay, fine, no problem...lemme see what I want to order. Well, I waited & waited & waited & waited & waited...... After about 3 minutes of sitting there I said to my wife that I'd give them one more minute (which was extremely generous, considering this was 11:00 at night & nobody else was there)! The minute came, so I just drove off & glared at the kid at the window WHO WAS CHATTING WITH SOMEBODY IN THEIR CAR!!! I know they were just talking 'cause the Wendy's guy had his arms hanging out the window, and when I was on the on-ramp of the interstate, I could still see him just hanging around!!! What an inconsiderate, rude idiot! I just went to the next exit & stopped at the Wendy's there.

Also, don't you love it when the person in line ahead of you is ordering 75 different items on 48 different tickets? Jeez, can't the office order a couple of pizzas or something???? I was stuck in Subway for about 35 or 40 minutes once 'cause somebody was doing that. The only reason I didn't leave was because I wanted Subway food REALLY bad, and the traffic was so bad that it wouldn't have been any quicker to go to another Subway.

I have so many fast food stories I could probably write a thick book about them!!

[This message has been edited by fiddlin (edited 09-21-2000).]

Why is the # in concertos number something abbreviated No.? I thought it might be numero or something having to do with a different language and smack it here on this taco post. I like their border "fries" if they're crispy because when they're not the whole meal gets a frowny face. Why don't they just call them tater tots or something and I already know the answer because border fries probably have a better image appeal which I just made that phrase up and I do know how to write correct English but I find it easier to write what I'm thinking (a lot) in a mumble jumble one sentence.

I must agree with brandilion, REAL Mexican food cannot be had at Taco He11, I recently went to New Mexico for my honeymoon, well two years ago, and that is not even considered authentic Mexican, as New Mexico has a quisine all its own, but any way the food is delicious!!! sopapillas with honey, roasted green chile and tomatillo salsa, blue corn tortilla chips still warm, choritzo stuffed tamales, REAL Flour tortillas, I say real as Taco He11's have that all too familiar processed taste, Oh and pinion coffee!! YUM YUM, Man I'm making myself drool!! We were there during the chile harvesting in November, and the smell of fresh chiles permeated everything, and there were ristras for sale on every corner of Santa Fe. I absolutely love New Mexico, any of you who have never been, do yourselves a favor and make the trip!!

OK, I started rambling there but now I'm done, Thanks for listening!!

Pole