Maestronet Forums

How many vegetarian violinists?

Yankee Fiddler

I was just wondering if there are a lot of vegetarian violin players. There are 3 of us vegetarians that play at session. I know that 4 other violin players are not vegetarians, and there are another 3 that I don't know about.

Anyway 3 out of 10 seems like a pretty high ratio.

Does this hold true on Maestronet as well? Are there many fiddling veggies out there?

I aim to eat completely healthy (and Kosher too!), and that means mostly vegetarian.

I think musicians know how to appreciate the meaning of energy, though they might find it hard to be bothered too much with what they eat, as they prefer not too fight against their moods and emotions, if it dictates to them to eat something else.

Sometimes their intuition is correct!

By eating healthy, I mean, according to the experts in natural health. (But I'm not so sure if the "rules" are always correct for every person every day)

S.Taylor

Nope, I eat all kinds of stuff, pretty much whatever I feel like and stay my puny self. People tell me I've got a fast metabolism or something but that registers nothing in my brain. I tried going vegetarian for a day for fun and then my brother reminded me I couldn't have cheese or anything. Since I like pizza and many other things with cheese, I am glad that I don't have any eating rules, because I know many religions forbid you to eat certain stuff or combinations of stuff at certain times etc.

I am an omnivore who feels guilty about it. In short I would love to be a vegetarian, but I think I would starve--I am just not a fan of beans and legumes.

Yes I am Jewish. No I do not keep kosher, although there are certain foods that have never crossed the threshold of our home. Actually Theresa and I had a conversation about bacon the other day...and Virginia ham, too (something I have never eaten).

And I am not a violinist, either!

I'm a vegetarian and have been for most of my adult life. I'm also a pretty serious exercise fanatic.

I think that in a way these things do tie in, for me, with my violin playing. I've gotten much more engrossed in the physical side of life (I'm an English teacher who's spent more than enough time in books). It may be crass to admit this, but a huge part of my enjoyment in the violin is the enormous physical rush I get when playing it hard.

Also, weightlifting, aerobics, stretching and the like have made my body less likely to get sore when practicing for a long time.

Catherine

Folks seem to think that eating meat is unhealthy. This is so untrue. Eating TOO MUCH meat is unhealthy.... but eating too much BROCCOLI is probably unhealthy too. Lean meat eaten in moderation is very healthy in fact. And it's incredibly satisfying, which helps our MENTAL health. Meat is pure protein -- no carbohydrates, and LEAN meat has very little FAT.

See those two little pointy teeth in your mouth? There's a reason why they're there.

Meat is good. Taco Bell, on the other hand.....

I am a lacto vegetarian. I eat an egg about once a month maybe, cheese two to three times a month. I have been one for 59 years. I have tasted meat, but it is an acquired taste. I eat two to three cucks, a couple of tam,broc, callaloo in season, peppers etc., some pita, rice, beans, humos, some disserts, rarely pasta. Lift weights three times a week and walk 12 to 15 miles a week. Blood pressure 110 over 70, chl 122. Non of this is correlated to playing the violin.