Maestronet Forums

Guess who's coming to dinner?

GuinnessHunter

Ok, you can invite three people to a meal, from any time period, dead or alive. Who do you invite? Please elaborate.

1: JS Bach. Do I really need to elaborate??? Besides, rumor has it he enjoyed good wine, good food, and a good woman. (jeez, he had 20 kids)

2: Thomas Jefferson. Violin player, architect and builder of one of the most beautiful houses I've ever had the privelege of visiting, and oh yeah, wrote some political stuff too. wink.gif

3: WA Mozart. The man, the myth, the legend.

and, ('cause it's my question and I can cheat)

4: Teddy Roosevelt laugh.gif

hunter, conserationist, and all around good guy. (of course this would have to be an outside dinner.)

William

Well, because it'd be too easy, I'll leave out any religious figures. With that constraint, I'd offer the following:

1) Winston Churchill - One of the greatest figures of modern times, and a champion of "duty". I would be interested in hearing his opinion of all the current goings-on in both London and Washington.

2) Alexander the Great - Despite his large footprint on world history, very little is known about this man, who by age 26, had known world under his sandals. What drove him to press on, even to his death?

3) Groucho Marx - quite simply, I know he'd have a lot to say.

Rat

[This message has been edited by Desert Rat (edited 09-20-2000).]

1. Yehudi Menuhin - I feel like I could have some really interesting conversations with him.

2. Carl Sagan - I could learn TONS of useful information from Carl...I could help stop the spread of ignorance in the world! I'd love to be like Carl.

3. Elvis Presley - Although I love so many different bands/musicians, Elvis has always been one of my biggest idols.

Jacques Thibaud, Gregor Piatigorsky and Charlie Chaplin, together! Thibaud and Piatigorsky were considered by their peers to be the best storytellers. Thibaud and Chaplin were good friends and they apparently had a grand time when they bumped into each other in Japan in 1936.

Combination of Sir Thomas Beecham, Fritz Kreisler, Feodor Chaliapin, Vladimir de Pachmann , Jack Benny and Victor Borge can be a scream too. smile.gif Can anyone imagine Benny, Kreisler and Borge playing Bach double concerto with Beecham conducting them? Or Chaliapin and de Pachmann crowning through "The Song of Flea"? I could only imagine how uproariously funny they would be. laugh.gif

Yehudi Menuhin and Ivry Gitlis seem like they can be a wonderful people to hang around as well.

Toscha

Here's my list:

1. My g.g.g.g. grandfather who came to this country from Ireland, fought in the French & Indian War, and settled in the "frontier". I'd like to hear his story first-hand.

2. Thomas Jefferson - I agree on what's said about him. He was quite the inventor and I'd love to be able to show him today's gadgets. I bet he could make fascinating dinner conversation.

3. ***** ****** - For the obvious reasons. I'd like to know if, given the chance, I'd drop everything to follow him.

4. Adolf Hitler - I'd like to get into an argument with him and be able to personally tell him that he's an idiot.

1. Nathan Milstein - he'd tell us all to "please eat" (as he does on his video)

2. Fritz Kreisler - we'd share medical school dropout stories, would have wanted baked beans and a hot dog (low maintenance). No wife though.

3. Nicolo Paganini - looked underfed

4. Eugene Ysaye - would have to put out lots of food

5. Mischa Elman - dinner would get "too hot" for him though

6. Itzhak Perlman - all of the above rolled into one

7. HuangKaiVun - would do the cooking.

1.Geronimo, I thinks he was one of the most charismatic individuals in history, a practical joker, and very spiritual.

2.Bill Monroe, I actually met the man once in a campsite jamming after a festival, unfortunately I wasn't playing then, so I missed the opportunity to play with the legend.

3.John Belushi, I mean come on he would be the most fun at dinner, as long as he didn't do his impersonation of a zit!!

4.Abraham Lincoln, I think he was a great man, He was president during one of this nations darkest periods, and managed to do it with incredible integrity, and dignity.

That would be some dinner!!

Pole

Albert Einstein - from what I've read he was a really cool person (did a little kid's math homework in exchange for cookies) and could wiggle his ears, a trait I find most interesting as I do people who can move both their eyebrows and juggle

Whoever invented chocolate milk

One of the following authors: Shel Silverstein, Roald Dahl, Dr. Seuss/Theodore Geisel, or Louis Sachar

[This message has been edited by 454 (edited 09-20-2000).]

I think I'd have to invite more than three....

1. Bach. Just because.

2. my favorite violinist

3. Emily Dickinson...I love her poetry and she needed to get out more.

4. Paganini

5. Steve Vai....I'd have him sit beside Paganini so I can gawk at the resemblance

6. my favorite actor from Monty Python....I love British people. Besides, it'd be a blast.

7. my lesson teacher. I think she'd want to meet Bach and Paganini just as much as I would smile.gif

I kind of broke the rules.....But this is my dream invitation list so I couldn't leave any out.

jw wink.gif

Such a hard question:

1.) James Joyce

2.) J.S. Bach

3.) Leonardo de Vinci

If I could invite more, perhaps:

4.) Joseph Heller

5.) Alexander the Great

6.) Julius Caesar

7.) Octavian "Augustus" Caesar

8.) Moses

9.) Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

If I could invite fictional characters:

10.) Francis Crawford of Lymond (he might be among the top three)

11.) Sherlock Holmes

12.) William of Baskerville

13.) Mr. Leopold Bloom

14.) Stephen Dedalus

But, I know that Itzach Perlman loves to cook and is apparantly very good at it. Maybe for the sake of my stomach I'd invite him (although it'd be rude to ask him to provide dinner and music I'd probably ask him to bring his "Soil" Strad and play for me).

Adieu!

Well, first I'd invite William Faulkner 'cause he and I could chill out in the corner sipping bourbon while observing the others talk;

Second would be Mozart because he would be fun to observe while sipping bourbon with Will in the corner;

Third would be Dolly Parton because I think Mozart would definitely enjoy talking to her and she to him--and Will and I would have a lot of laughs watching the two of them.

OK. Those are my three. I stuck to the rules.

But I can think of a lot of others it would be fun to throw together, too. I would like to see HKV with Milstein and that Anne-Sophie Mutter. That trio would be fun to observe while I sipped bourbon by myself in the corner.

Best regards,

Theresa

1. Sarah Brightman--British (opera) singer. She was probably widely criticized during the early years of her musical career for her voice was shrill, thin and extremely bright. Even when she won the coveted role of the original Christine Daae in the 'Phantom of the Opera', it was attributed to her status as Mrs. Andrew Lloyd Weber. However, she has persevered and, today, has one of the most unique and loveliest voices on this planet that is at ease with both contemporary and operatic styles.

2. Somerset Maugham--British writer. His ability to convey human emotion through his writing is legendary. 'The Razor's Edge' is my favorite book.

3. Gil Shaham. I would love to watch him play and then ask (or beg) for a lesson (after dinner, of course). smile.gif

August

Very difficult question. I am very keen on inviting living people because I can see them in concerts or on TV and can read books/articles about them.

1. Albert Einstein (Let's discuss QED.)

2. Wolfgang A. Mozart (Compose something.)

3. Luwig Beethoven (Talk to Bach.)

4. Johanne S. Bach (What do you think about Beethoven?)

5. Antonio Stradivari (How did you do that?)

6. William Shakespere (Did you really write your plays)

7. John S. Mill (Interested in the Intepretive Model?)

8. Astor Piazzola (Teach me bandaneon.)

9. Carlos Gardel (Who are you?)

10. Plato (Is the Republic fictional?)

There was a business school application that actually asked this question.

Benjamin Franklin: philosopher, politician, humanist, inventor, businessman, humorist par excellence, sometime musician. His autobiography is a scream, and I'd love to hear him talk for an evening.

Hector Berlioz: what other musician would have so much to say about the century after his death? Thought big, and had no patience for cant. Also one of the wittiest writers and conversationalists. Anyone read of the time he completely deflated Wagner's expoundings on the creative process?

I forget who I put third at the time-- maybe William James. For now, make it Kreisler for story-telling panache. Rubinstein had the same ability, but an ego larger than life!

[This message has been edited by Stephen (edited 09-21-2000).]

Most interesting postings.

I think I would invite only some music hero's

1. One of the renowed violin music teachers from Indiana or Julliard, mainly because I would never have a chance to pick their brains ordinarily.

2. Mark O'Connor because he has transcended the fiddling part of his initial expertise to where he is now obviously one of the worlds great violinists; and I would love to have him explain his musical journey to me.

3. Non medical people - Dr. Andre Cournand who first stuck a catheter in his own heart to prove it was save when he could not get medical ethics approval. Millions of people now have his initial procedure. He did it on a weekend in the basement of his hospital with one of his buddies helping out.

4. Ali Mallin, the last man on earth to have

smallbox. It must be incredible to be the last to have an irradicated disease that once plaqued the world, and I wonder how he related to that.

I can wiggle my ears, too. Anyone want to have me over for dinner?

First I'd lose all concept of numbers, then I'd make my "three"-person list include Galamian, DeLay, Thibaud, Ysaye, Kreisler, Piatigorsky, John Lennon, Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, Shostakovich (know any good Stalin jokes?), Casals, Einstein, and some of my friends (I can't have all the fun by myself). And Emeril--someone's gotta cook for nearly twenty people. Now if I could get a hypothetical dining table big enough...

-V