Maestronet Forums

Violin id please? Mirecourt?

Wings

Hi, can anyone help identify this violin please?

It looks mirecourt to me, but it has no label. 
scroll eye is badly crafted, asymmetrical left and right. Overall it is not in very good condition, was not well taken care of.

IMG_8159.jpeg

IMG_8138.jpeg

IMG_8160.jpeg

IMG_8118.jpeg

IMG_8116.jpeg

IMG_8115.jpeg

IMG_8117.jpeg

IMG_8113.jpeg

IMG_8137.jpeg

IMG_8123.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Wings said:

do you think the left and right scroll eyes were completed by different person?

Rather at a monday morning.;) But I don't think they are that different, I've seen many worser.

7 minutes ago, Wood Butcher said:

When you can carve a better one, in the same time they had, then you can take the piss.

Well, I was just wondering why the two sides were in completely difference styles. No intention to offend people who made it.

1 hour ago, Wood Butcher said:

When you can carve a better one, in the same time they had, then you can take the piss.

I did make a viola built on the back in 2 days, varnished it on the third.

I did take the piss, quite a large one.

1 hour ago, Wings said:

Well, I was just wondering why the two sides were in completely difference styles. No intention to offend people who made it.

When a violin maker is knocking them out for  a living, there are things to consider. There is not much time for pecking around and nibbling at things all day, just cut it and get done. As a result of most humans being dominant handed, as in right or left, the work will appear different from side to side. Corners will be developed slightly different, f-holes slightly different, sides of the scroll different, and can be the most difficult. Of course one can take the time and make them perfect, and at times I do, but where's the fun in that. Much nicer to leave it to abandon, and if a person knows what they are doing, and lets the chips fly, things can turn out grand.

A good workman knows how to let the tools dictate the work, and allows the tools do what they do best. I will use different tools for different models because they lend themselves to  different outcomes easily. Rather than using a certain gouge (or scrapers) for the edgework or scroll, and trying to make it work, I grab the ones that give the desired outcome naturally, and I don't have to think about it.

Just looking at your fiddle, it is clear what tools one would  use to copy it, and it's probably based off of the the Alard Del Gesu, so a bit of asymmetry is acceptable.

I think it's funny how a lot of these look to be Del Gesu"s built by Strad.

5 minutes ago, Evan Smith said:

( ... )

When a violin maker is knocking them out for  a living, there are things to consider. There is not much time for pecking around and nibbling at things all day, just cut it and get done. As a result of most humans being dominant handed, as in right or left, the work will appear different from side to side.  ( ... )

A good workman knows how to let the tools dictate the work, and allows the tools do what they do best.  ( ... )

I do not know my history of industry at the time. Would anyone know if there were left hand dominant workers given specific tasks at these factories?

46 minutes ago, Wings said:

BTW, could this be one of JTL models? Not sure if all JTLs have labels, at least most of them do I guess.

Could be a number of Mirecourt workshops,but JTL yes.

Look for a number in the scroll just before the nut also the neck block can be stamped JTL and/or have a symbol inside somewhere.

51 minutes ago, Gtone said:

Could be a number of Mirecourt workshops,but JTL yes.

Look for a number in the scroll just before the nut also the neck block can be stamped JTL and/or have a symbol inside somewhere.

No, didn’t find anything:(

3 hours ago, germain said:

Marc Laberte perhaps? ... lower end model 

I think probably you are right, after I cleaned it, it indeed looks like a Marc Laberte one, much more so than a JTL

I have another violin label “Modele d’apres” (which I guess is from is from Marc Laberte workshop)looks very similar (scroll finish, and corners) to this one. 

The OP one after cleaning:

IMG_8168.jpeg

IMG_8179.jpeg

IMG_8185.jpeg