Maestronet Forums

Can Wood Pore Size Affect Sound?

NicholasP

I'm interested in hearing if wood pore size has an effect on sound of an instrument, whether it be good or bad. I have access to a wood known as "Tornillo" (Cedrelinga catenaeformis) and it's pores are absolutely massive. Pore size ranges from 300-500 micrometers which is way bigger than any wood I've ever seen. It takes very well to turns, glues, stains, and finishes. It's around 2x harder than red pine and it's only 1 lbs/ft3 heavier than red pine. I'm considering getting some to try for finger boards and maybe top plates, though I've forgotten if top plates need quarter sawn wood or if it's fine in any form. I do want to hear your guys' opinions on woods with large pores though and how it affects the sound if you guys have knowledge on it. Cheers to woods.

Tornillo Wood: https://www.wood-database.com/tornillo/

In short...

No.

Pore size is more indicative of species, and there is natural variation within a single species and even within the same tree. 

But density, speed of sound, and cross-grain/longitudinal stiffness are going to have more of an effect. 

The pore size is probably more of a correlative than anything else. 

7 minutes ago, NicholasP said:

I might just make a chinrest with it then.

I wouldn't want those giant pores soaking up sweat; neither would it seem fun to fill and level them off with something that might get worn off and/or react with sweat.

17 minutes ago, Don Noon said:

I wouldn't want those giant pores soaking up sweat; neither would it seem fun to fill and level them off with something that might get worn off and/or react with sweat.

That's a good point. I guess I'll have to go searching for another wood. I assume sealing the wood and then varnishing wouldn't work either to make it usable for that type of work where it would be in contact with sweat? It's hard to make much with the woods I've been finding so far. I'll have to check a few more lumber yards for different woods.

It certainly effects the rate and depth of sealer/first coat/ ground absorption, it  also effects the the following coats  and their ability to fill/wall off/seal the sealed pores which can lead to a situation where more varnish is needed to make the varnish looked "finished" or level and could create a situation where increased  damping beyond what one may want happens.

Visually it is prone to pitting and bubble formation during the multi coat film building process and may benefit from a grain filling

edit: as well as the rate of speed of moisture absorption from the air assuming the interior is not "sealed"