Maestronet Forums

Old Violin for ID

wooden

Hello. I have this violin for identification. All you experts can give your opinion. The only thing I know so far is that it is XVIII century. It bears a (fake) label of Stainer. If you feel you can add any information it will be welcome. Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, Gtone said:

This a nice instrument,

hasn't anyone with expertise got something to say

or did it get lost in the mix?

We are trying to discuss chainsaws and dremels here bud. Just what kind of board do you think this is anyway? 

2 hours ago, Gtone said:

Please Aston, this is why things get lost.

I think Wooden would appreciate staying on topic.:)

Thanks Gtone for your kindness. Sometimes the topics get dispersed and can loose interest. I prevously contacted Jacob but he is humble and honest enough to admit he is unable to identify it. I was hoping there would be someone who could help. We'll have to be patient...

Doesn't look like the typical Mittenwald, but could be from this region - or Füssen and it's "outsourcings". One would need to search for a bona fide signed reference, what can be difficult.

At the scroll it can be studied what's the meaning of "Hinterkopf".;)

28 minutes ago, Blank face said:

Doesn't look like the typical Mittenwald, but could be from this region - or Füssen and it's "outsourcings". One would need to search for a bona fide signed reference, what can be difficult.

At the scroll it can be studied what's the meaning of "Hinterkopf".;)

OK thanks BF ,you can see the inspiration from Stainer.

I love the Hinterkopf on this scroll.

here's the real deal next to Woodens

Stainer head.jpg

1716053336260.jpg.3457fad2b04236defd91836d53e66003.jpg

Both Blank face and Jacob agree in Fussen origin. I am not an expert at all so I began to search in books and could see some similarity with Fichtl. I think he came from Fussen and his work is inspired by Stainer. But this is just my opinion and surely it will be wrong...

4 hours ago, wooden said:

Both Blank face and Jacob agree in Fussen origin. I am not an expert at all so I began to search in books and could see some similarity with Fichtl. I think he came from Fussen and his work is inspired by Stainer. But this is just my opinion and surely it will be wrong...

Lüttgendorff is listing more than 20 Fichtl (Fichtel, Fichtold etc.) named makers, working also in other places like Vienna.

Nearly the same number of Stoss, then several Nigg/Niggels, Petz and so on. So one would need to check through all this. In the other tread going on at the moment it was pointed out that it's usually not "straight forward", but a lot of instruments are workshop cooperations (parents/children, master/apprentice, employee A/employee B and the like). But if you're lucky, you can find sometimes hidden pencil signatures, telling who might have made the box. As the violin was a feast for the worms :( but looks otherwise relatively untouched there might be a chance.

10 hours ago, Gtone said:

Please Aston, this is why things get lost.

I think Wooden would appreciate staying on topic.:)

It is the opposite.  I could just type "bump" which is boring.  If I am going to bump an interesting subject, I may as well say something more interesting than "bump."

11 hours ago, Gtone said:

What is the rib height Wooden ?,just out of curiosity.

And Dear Jacob if this had a scroll replaced, could it be Viennese?

Reason I asked is the similar outline to a violin(in my front room:))

mine next to Woodens

IMG_0591.JPG

1716054000130.jpg.72a9d2a258dec4504f4bc505a0405407.jpg

Is the wear on this fiddle manufactured? A better way to ask may be; How much of the wear and tear on this fiddle is manufactured and how much of it do you think is actually from being played and handled? (A very subjective question so please elaborate.)

23 hours ago, Gtone said:

What is the rib height Wooden ?,just out of curiosity.

And Dear Jacob if this had a scroll replaced, could it be Viennese?

Hi. Sorr for the delay. It is 31 tapering to 29.

1 hour ago, FiddleMkr said:

Is the wear on this fiddle manufactured? A better way to ask may be; How much of the wear and tear on this fiddle is manufactured and how much of it do you think is actually from being played and handled? (A very subjective question so please elaborate.)

I think its wear is completely original.

14 hours ago, Gtone said:

Reason I asked is the similar outline to a violin(in my front room:))

mine next to Woodens

The one belonging to Wooden has a noticably more square/less curvaceous outline with more open C bouts and shorter corners than yours. I find it highly attractive even the quirky scroll is appealing. 

Hopefully one day I might find something like this!

All the outline, scroll profile comparisons etc. are not terribly helpful, since it is quite clear roughly which geography and what period the violin comes from. The trouble is, that there are so many of these, that the ambition to name it is bound to be hopeless.

On 5/21/2024 at 3:20 AM, Gtone said:

OK thanks BF ,you can see the inspiration from Stainer.

I love the Hinterkopf on this scroll.

here's the real deal next to Woodens

Stainer head.jpg

1716053336260.jpg.3457fad2b04236defd91836d53e66003.jpg

What is “hinterkopf”?  
are you referring to the dark brown layer of “goo” that looks to be stuck on top of the varnish?