Maestronet Forums

Stradivarius' Sons instruments

Maybe you find something in the violin iconography of Antonio Stradivari by Herbert Goodkind. But that’s presumably outdated today.

Otherwise information seems to be scattered over several books written thereafter. I can’t remember precisely where. I would first search in the works covering the time period after Antonio Stradivaris death. 

I remember an article some time ago that pretty much insisted that A Stradivari must have been more or less an overseer of a shop that employed many master violin makers, his sons included. Two things that I remember which supported this claim was the volume of instruments produced with A Stradivari on the label and (number 2) the fact that instruments of known masters at that specific time are (much) fewer. The instruments of Rogeri are fewer during Stradivari’s most productive years, for example. 
         This makes sense to me but I am only an amateur fiddle maker without experience handling golden era instruments. What are your thoughts on this idea? Do you think that Stradivari was mostly an overseer of a group of master violin makers or (instead) was he (and his sons) supermen with hand tools? 

Edited by FiddleMkr
Added “(number 2)”

5 hours ago, FiddleMkr said:

Do you think that Stradivari was mostly an overseer of a group of master violin makers or (instead) was he (and his sons) supermen with hand tools? 

Maybe it is a secret nobody want to reveal. :D There are evidence known in museum and research document that he did not work alone. 

Back to OP, I don't had the chance to see E Blot books, anyone has them ? Is there something on instrument from Strad familly  1737- 1743 ?.

On the Tarisio site you can see several examples of Francesco and Omobono Stradivari violins. As to the contribution of the sons in Antonio's work, you can read an interesting article on Roger Hargraves' site suggesting that the last truly personal works by the father were the "long period" instruments. The "golden period" Strads would be the work of the sons, including the short lived Martino who may have made the Messiah... 

I use very often the Cozio archive.

My concern is about a Laberte's instrument.

He made copies of his own collection. One (or many) of his cello has a label mentionning a F Strad 1742 (here :F Strad Copy ) . And I wonder where is this instrument,  and how it looks like.

I have seen this article Cello Strad 1742, it could be one option, but I wanted to find a more reliable source.