Maestronet Forums

Ascribed to del Gesu?

Thanks! I couldn't have named a mix within individual details like that. There seems to be a lot to learn there. But your probably long list doesn't just concern the belly, right (quietly and naively asked again)?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@match That's correct. Basically if pressed for a date I would not be able to come up with one. And that's not a good sign.

I wonder if it's Hungarian. That's where I always head for del Gesus of weird consistency and quirks.

Based only on the pix, which can be misleading, I think they probably want it to be a Lott based on the varnish color.

The head is a mixed metaphor and has features of late, early, French, and English (the last two could be the same maker, French in England). And could easily be unoriginal. Or not.

36 minutes ago, Michael Darnton said:

@match That's correct. Basically if pressed for a date I would not be able to come up with one. And that's not a good sign.

I wonder if it's Hungarian. That's where I always head for del Gesus of weird consistency and quirks.

Based only on the pix, which can be misleading, I think they probably want it to be a Lott based on the varnish color.

The head is a mixed metaphor and has features of late, early, French, and English (the last two could be the same maker, French in England). And could easily be unoriginal. Or not.

:):ph34r:

@violinbridges That's always based on how many people think they know what it is. I suspect the minimum bid may be a problem for speculators. It would be for me. They're suggesting a Lott price for an item they aren't willing to say is a Lott, or a part del Gesu price for something they won't say is part del Gesu. Or something. . . 

My best guess would be that they think they know the reality but aren't willing to put it in writing, but are hoping that someone will catch on. Or that they're trying to get the current owner what he paid for it when he bought it as whatever he bought it as? There are a lot of possible scenarios and we have no way of knowing what they're thinking. 

They must have their reasons for not putting it in T2 :-)

10 hours ago, dpappas said:

Michael et al., thanks for your expertise.  I stumbled across it and there were so many questions about it.  I think a seller is definitely struggling with a valuation issue.  Bought it as X, and now it's a Y.  

Thats why I think it must be a challenge to buy it, so many experts put it down to GDG and those opinions are now not trusted enough.. will watch with great interst, still a prettyt fiddle though

It was a normal practice by luthiers of 19th century to replace tops instead of trying to fix them. I am assuming that is why the dendro doesn't match? The question is if the top is replaced and the scroll is not original are the back and ribs GDG?

1 hour ago, germain said:

It was a normal practice by luthiers of 19th century to replace tops instead of trying to fix them. I am assuming that is why the dendro doesn't match? The question is if the top is replaced and the scroll is not original are the back and ribs GDG?

At what point is a GdG no longer so?  How much must remain intact/original before an instrument is no longer considered by the maker?  I know that's subjective, so I'm asking rhetorically.  For me, the box is the magic and the scroll and f-holes are the art.  I would want top, ribs, back, and scroll to be original.

54 minutes ago, dpappas said:

At what point is a GdG no longer so?  How much must remain intact/original before an instrument is no longer considered by the maker?  I know that's subjective, so I'm asking rhetorically.  For me, the box is the magic and the scroll and f-holes are the art.  I would want top, ribs, back, and scroll to be original.

There are a couple of del Gesu back/ribs/scroll instruments on the market currently at around $4 million ...

8 hours ago, germain said:

that means we do a maestronet group buy. We sell it and then we triple our initial investment... who is in?

What would be the name of the group? „No Lott no Guarneri no chance“ or what?:P

• 2 weeks later...

@duane88   I get the impression that they think he found an old body with del Gesuish promise and modified it to look like del Gesu, found a head that sort of looked right (after a bit of work?) and then put his paint over the whole thing. So maybe none of the original wood is his but some of the wood reworking is.