Maestronet Forums

Retail Value of Cappa Violin

scordatura

I am curious of the going price(s) or range of Cappa violins. Let's assume it is in good condition and no major issues (original scroll, etc.) It is not an early one with the ribs set into the back. Circa 1680-1690. It has been authenticated by an appraisal from a prominent shop.

According to Cozio archive the auction record is $186,000.00 so a very fine example in a big shop might be a lot more. I’m not sure that it is the sort of instrument an active orchestra or solo player would be looking for but it depends on the player and the particular instrument. Never say never.

DLB

6 hours ago, scordatura said:

I am curious of the going price(s) or range of Cappa violins. Let's assume it is in good condition and no major issues (original scroll, etc.) It is not an early one with the ribs set into the back. Circa 1680-1690. It has been authenticated by an appraisal from a prominent shop.

Having spent a couple of decades as “gerichtliche Sachverständiger” (court appointed expert) I learned to avoid answering questions like that, or at the worst just saying “The Fuchtaxe” lists them with so or so, to avoid getting into any big arguments where I don’t have a dog in the fight

1 hour ago, jacobsaunders said:

Having spent a couple of decades as “gerichtliche Sachverständiger” (court appointed expert) I learned to avoid answering questions like that, or at the worst just saying “The Fuchtaxe” lists them with so or so, to avoid getting into any big arguments where I don’t have a dog in the fight

Point taken ...

The Neuetaxe gives values of up to $520k.

18 hours ago, Michael Darnton said:

Note if you are buying that an appraisal is definitely not an authentication. But certainly that gives an opinion of a value for the violin whatever it is.

It has a certificate of authenticity.

15 hours ago, Dwight Brown said:

I’m not sure that it is the sort of instrument an active orchestra or solo player would be looking for but it depends on the player and the particular instrument. Never say never.

I’ve maintained one for several years that’s being used in a major Symphony Orchestra.

Never say never!

Cappa cellos are more valuable and more sought after compared to the violins. I worked for many years with a member of the Met orchestra who had a beautiful Cappa cello with replaced top. Had a beautiful sound...

7 hours ago, germain said:

Cappa cellos are more valuable and more sought after compared to the violins. I worked for many years with a member of the Met orchestra who had a beautiful Cappa cello with replaced top. Had a beautiful sound...

I would say this is true of pretty much any respected maker ….

8 hours ago, martin swan said:

I would say this is true of pretty much any respected maker ….

True... but I guess there are less options when it comes to cellos. Tecchler also comes to mind where his cellos are much more sought after than the violins. 

2 hours ago, germain said:

True... but I guess there are less options when it comes to cellos. Tecchler also comes to mind where his cellos are much more sought after than the violins. 

I just can't really think of any maker that this wouldn't be true of ...

2 hours ago, martin swan said:

I just can't really think of any maker that this wouldn't be true of ...

How about the most obvious Strad... his cellos are really not that popular. Most A list players prefer Montagnana, Goffriller nowadays no? Rostropovich played a Strad...