Maestronet Forums

Is this certificate real or fake?

Jerry Alberson

It's probably a "real" certificate inasmuch as Mr. Tipple authored and signed it, but I'm not sure about his conclusions... others will speak up, but you could start by reading this thread for discussion of the likelihood of anyone named John Juzek having made your violin:

16 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Any printed document can be reproduced, along with fake alterations, quite convincingly. So these days, I wouldn't bet all my marbles on a printed document.

Hi David, I don’t know if this would make any difference or not but I’ve had this document and violin in my possession since the year 2001.

33 minutes ago, Stephen Fine said:

It's probably a "real" certificate inasmuch as Mr. Tipple authored and signed it, but I'm not sure about his conclusions... others will speak up, but you could start by reading this thread for discussion of the likelihood of anyone named John Juzek having made your violin:

Thank you, Stephen for the link, seems to be a lot of controversy concerning John Juzek, and I certainly don’t know enough to swing either way myself that is why I was asking for more expertise help.

Here's an interesting court case record involving a certificate from Mr. Tipple. I think the most entertaining part is the somewhat strained attempt at lighthearted writing (see the "Cadenza") and the description of how the in-court demonstrations brought joy, but little probative value.  

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/FSupp/663/736/1414095/

Robert B. Tipple and his father Robert W. were respected local/regional violin shop owners in the mid-20th C, but I don't think they had any particular authority in instrument origins or certification, and were probably offering an experience-based opinion developed from seeing similar Mkn instruments with Juzek labels go through their hands, supported by some flowery statements from books. 

39 minutes ago, Jerry Alberson said:

Thank you, Stephen for the link, seems to be a lot of controversy concerning John Juzek, and I certainly don’t know enough to swing either way myself that is why I was asking for more expertise help.

There is no controversy concerning “John Jusek” since it was a trade name of Metropolitan Music in the States, which they glued into trade violins from Schönbach in North Bohemia. End of.

7 minutes ago, ChicagoDogs said:

Here's an interesting court case record involving a certificate from Mr. Tipple. I think the most entertaining part is the somewhat strained attempt at lighthearted writing (see the "Cadenza") and the description of how the in-court demonstrations brought joy, but little probative value.  

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/FSupp/663/736/1414095/

Robert B. Tipple and his father Robert W. were respected local/regional violin shop owners in the mid-20th C, but I don't think they had any particular authority in instrument origins or certification, and were probably offering an experience-based opinion developed from seeing similar Mkn instruments with Juzek labels go through their hands, supported by some flowery statements from books. 

4 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

There is no controversy concerning “John Jusek” since it was a trade name of Metropolitan Music in the States, which they glued into trade violins from Schönbach in North Bohemia. End of.

Gentlemen thank you for your expertise and the information on Tipple violin shop , your knowledge and expertise is greatly valued by me, thank you for putting my topic question to rest.

5 minutes ago, duane88 said:

Interesting. I know Karen. I will have to ask her about this next time she comes into the shop.

Duane88, if you don’t mind when you talk to Karen, could you message me with her details on the lawsuit if she is ok with it? I also find it very interesting how the evidence in the court case was adopted by the courts for hearing these kind of cases.

57 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Just that, and as long as there is only an imitated Stainer label in it (and there’s absolutely nothing resembling Stainer at this violin BTW) it wasn’t even distributed by the Juzek/MM firm, so  this appraisal is purely fantasy, if not to say deliberately misleading.

5 minutes ago, Blank face said:

Just that, and as long as there is only an imitated Stainer label in it (and there’s absolutely nothing resembling Stainer at this violin BTW) it wasn’t even distributed by the Juzek/MM firm, so  this appraisal is purely fantasy, if not to say deliberately misleading.

Very good thank you, jacobsaunders, and Blank face, I thoroughly believe and receive your expertise on this fiddle. Again, thank you very much.

1 hour ago, jacobsaunders said: