Maestronet Forums

60 Year Old Cheap Violin - Cannot get a Sound out of it

Monsterenergy

Recording a violin, so it still sounds like a violin, is extremely difficult.  It is the most difficult instrument to record.  Even if you can get it to sound like a some kind of violin, it still doesn't sound much like the live violin that was used for the recording,  I read an article somewhere once about why this is, but I can't find it at the moment.  Some people have ok but not great results with a Sure SM57 if you have one lying around... doesn't everybody?

I have found, oddly, that a recently made iPhone does an OK, but not great, recording.

I wonder if, to get a more realistic sound of a lot of violins playing you would have to record each note of your violin a few times, accidentally incorporating the variation in tuning/pitch that actually occur when several players in a string section play the 'same' note and somehow layer these samples altogether to create each note of your digital string section? (I am presuming you recorded each note of your violin only once, so please ignore this if I am wrong in this assumption?)

I am not the greatest violin player and a few years ago someone asked me to play something for a recording they were making - he was trying to create a "Christmas song" complete with jingling sleigh bells! Anyway, I played along with a backing track he had made and he played back what I had done and the tuning was depressingly ropey. I did a few attempts all imperfect in differing ways. He then combined the recordings of my imperfect efforts and when he played it back I was most amused and pleased to find it sounded like a small string section. The errors sort of cancelled or balanced each other out and produced that 'string section' sound, admittedly a ropey small string section (maybe better described as a ropery?) but it seemed more than, or at least different from, the sum of its parts.

He never did have a christmas hit though, I hope it wasn't my playing!

On 3/5/2024 at 2:01 AM, Aston4 said:

Recording a violin, so it still sounds like a violin, is extremely difficult.  It is the most difficult instrument to record.  Even if you can get it to sound like a some kind of violin, it still doesn't sound much like the live violin that was used for the recording,  I read an article somewhere once about why this is, but I can't find it at the moment.  Some people have ok but not great results with a Sure SM57 if you have one lying around... doesn't everybody?

I have found, oddly, that a recently made iPhone does an OK, but not great, recording.

Interesting. I didn't know how challenging it can be. One thing that helps alot is putting on some reverb, when the recording room was dry. I believe alot of the violin sound people recognize in recordings is reverb. I have a SM57 but I did not use it on these recrodings.

On 3/5/2024 at 11:18 AM, Andrew tkinson said:

I wonder if, to get a more realistic sound of a lot of violins playing you would have to record each note of your violin a few times, accidentally incorporating the variation in tuning/pitch that actually occur when several players in a string section play the 'same' note and somehow layer these samples altogether to create each note of your digital string section? (I am presuming you recorded each note of your violin only once, so please ignore this if I am wrong in this assumption?)

Yes, I do believe that my virtual instrument is sounding like this, because the layers are very homogenous due to the very controlled recording enviroment and layering technique I have used. More variation would make it sound wider and thicker.

I am not the greatest violin player and a few years ago someone asked me to play something for a recording they were making - he was trying to create a "Christmas song" complete with jingling sleigh bells! Anyway, I played along with a backing track he had made and he played back what I had done and the tuning was depressingly ropey. I did a few attempts all imperfect in differing ways. He then combined the recordings of my imperfect efforts and when he played it back I was most amused and pleased to find it sounded like a small string section. The errors sort of cancelled or balanced each other out and produced that 'string section' sound, admittedly a ropey small string section (maybe better described as a ropery?) but it seemed more than, or at least different from, the sum of its parts.

That makes sense. I was very consistent with my recordings and thats just not what happens when alot of players make music in a string section.

He never did have a christmas hit though, I hope it wasn't my playing!

It was the snare sound, I am sure.

On 3/5/2024 at 1:15 PM, Blank face said:

Thanks!

On 3/4/2024 at 7:01 PM, Aston4 said:

I record demo videos for my instruments, and my goal has been for the recording to sound to the player (with monitor headphones) like the instrument does when he/she is playing. Took a while, but I finally got there with a Zoom video recorder and a very carefully set up location and sound baffles. All in all, the location and setup turned out to be the most important for me. I needed just the right amount of liveness or echo in the room to get a good live sound. Violins don't sound good "dry", and all the   doctoring in the world doesn't sound as good as a good live setup, IMHO?