Maestronet Forums

Milo Stamm Royal bridge - Why longer medullary rays matter?

ViolinAnanda

17 hours ago, ViolinAnanda said:

Which Despiau bridge model is your favorite?

Their "supérieur"  model, or the one with three trees. But when I was able to hand-select from their next model down, those seemed work out just as well.

17 hours ago, ViolinAnanda said:

How would you compare Despiau with Milo Stamm?

Sorry, I haven't used enough of the Stamms to make a meaningful comparison. My sample size is too small.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best material for the bridge is selected maple with dense grains, straight lines, very strong structurally, not too heavy. When dropped on the table, bridge blank must make high pitch, crisp and well defined sound. It should be easy to cut, it must be old and stable material from verified source. The grains must be perpendicular to the rear side like on this example:
IMG_1654.thumb.jpg.64873256e7f1b929e53913d3f739efa4.jpg
 not symmetric cut like this one
image.png.bcdeb847451be8d49cd520c8c7d3a204.png

As for as both of these blanks, I wouldn't use any of these but the first one is still "better" cut then the second one.  The lines must be as even as possible and close to each other. Maybe the the second example is barely acceptable as for as of density of the lines,  but the first one is not good enough. But what we don't know if that material on the second example was not too heavy and not too hard when cutting it with the knife. Material can be dense enough but hard and heavy, the bridges cut from such wood would be bad and making harsh and squeaky sound on the instrument and deep, not crisp sound when dropped on the table. Sometimes they can be used on cheap instruments with very soft top plate and fuzzy sound to give it at least a bit "shiny" tone.... On the other hand, if you have a bad instrument with top plate from very hard spruce (often with very thin thickness to compensate hard material) and it makes ugly and loud "metallic" tone, you can cut a bridge from very soft and light wood and cut it a bit "fatter" then normally. Such a bridge can make the sound at least a bit more "mellow".  But on normal good quality instruments we will not use such bridges anyway and we have to avoid such materials.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all! I've heard opinion that Aubert bridges wood supply is recently very bad than it used to be and Milo Stamm is one that has most consistency when it comes to quality. I'm thinking if I'm gambling a lot if I buy "Royal" version in online shop without seeing it first. If there is lots of variety when it comes to wood quality selection or maybe the manufacturer knows all these things and makes sure that most expensive bridge will be 9 in 10 cases always best of the best. My local shop is quite far away and not sure if they are abundant in having a lot of bridges to choose from.