Maestronet Forums

The archeights of the Sloan del Gesu

Anders Buen

11 hours ago, Dr. Mark said:

Alarm bells - maybe just a faint odor set them off

Maybe you have been visited by the "Arching-angel"?  Who, anticipating a long thread and discussion,  decided an intake of carbohydrates was needed and made a few slices of buttered toast in your kitchen accidentally burning the last slice while distracted by an internal debate about how many violinmakers can stand on the point of a finely honed pin?

16 minutes ago, Andrew tkinson said:

Maybe you have been visited by the "Arching-angel"

There's that.  Certainly like something bumping around in my kitchen in the dead of night.

A tangential question - what's the pedigree of the del Gesu?

7 hours ago, Christian Pedersen said:

Dr. Mark, do you have information about Dr. Sloan's violin you like to share?

Sharing isn't on the table since I have no information other than what I obtained from Mr. Buen's question and a cursory browse of the internet.  No, I don't know what it is that makes me uneasy since his interviews and testimonials indicate he's an all-around good guy with a lot of talent.  No reason to go into it any further.  Does anyone know the pedigree of Dr. Sloan's del Gesu?

On 2/12/2024 at 6:38 PM, Christian Pedersen said:

What does the "pedigree" of the instrument in question have to do with the original question of arching heights of a particular violin?

Not much more than my original comment has to do with it, or for that matter your question.  I hope you're not offended.  I see we have someone today who can answer Mr. Buen's question...

23 minutes ago, Dr. Mark said:

Can you cite your source please?

Robert Bein.  I made a few violins based on this model for Robert and other local customers in the  1980's when it was still the Segalman.   16 and 15.5 is a pretty standard height for a violin arching, nothing out of the ordinary.  I found the measurement written on a very old yellowed template of the outline hanging on my wall, and I believe it to be correct.

4 hours ago, slf said:

Robert Bein.  I made a few violins based on this model for Robert and other local customers in the  1980's when it was still the Segalman.   16 and 15.5 is a pretty standard height for a violin arching, nothing out of the ordinary.  I found the measurement written on a very old yellowed template of the outline hanging on my wall, and I believe it to be correct.

Sincerely, that's very impressive!

On 2/12/2024 at 5:27 PM, Advocatus Diaboli said:

Assuming you’re talking about authenticity, there’s no reason to question that.  John Becker restored it early in his career before Bein and Fushi sold it to Bill.  

I heard a rumor that it was pieced together by B&F, whatever that means.  So it looks like the rumor isn't true?

7 hours ago, slf said:

Ha! That's what I was looking for in my own archive. I made that drawing for you at B&F and kept a copy for myself. I have wondered if you noticed and thought about that the edge outside of the purfling varies all around just a little.  And I think that's the original edge. I wouldn't have noticed it except for putting on the calipers for your drawing. I think that he trued up the outline after assembly. I often do the same, but by messing with the thickness of the ribs. :-) 

B&F didn't "piece it together", but John did do a long overdue restoration that was really exceptional. It had gotten pretty ratty. Somewhere I have pix of the whole process, on film, somewhere. . . . . . .  It's been only about 38 years!

The best thing about the Sloan del Gesù is that it is a beautifully restored and well cared for example that is set up to play. Bill is a passionate owner and person, he wants to share the violin with as many people as he can, which is quite incredible. My arching height notes say that the top is 16.5 and the back is 15.5. Like many makers, I have used this violin as a model and found raising the arch a little bit for a new violin helps. 

On 2/14/2024 at 6:36 PM, Michael Darnton said:

Ha! That's what I was looking for in my own archive. I made that drawing for you at B&F and kept a copy for myself. I have wondered if you noticed and thought about that the edge outside of the purfling varies all around just a little.  And I think that's the original edge. I wouldn't have noticed it except for putting on the calipers for your drawing. I think that he trued up the outline after assembly. I often do the same, but by messing with the thickness of the ribs. :-) 

B&F didn't "piece it together", but John did do a long overdue restoration that was really exceptional. It had gotten pretty ratty. Somewhere I have pix of the whole process, on film, somewhere. . . . . . .  It's been only about 38 years!

Many thanks for the fine drawing.  I do remember the descrepencies of edge vs mold outline but at the time thought it was due to natural wear of the edges.  Interesting . . .