Maestronet Forums

Grafted Fiddle #2 age and origin?

Newfiddleguy

This applies to both of your "grafted fiddles". The pictures aren't good enough to determine if they are real grafts, or just fake, scratched grafts. You need to examine them very closely to determine if all the grain continues across the cut line (fake), or the grain is discontinuous (real). For figuring out origin, you need to supply good quality pictures following the advise in the sticky post "How To Photograph an instrument for identification" .

2 minutes ago, FiddleDoug said:

This applies to both of your "grafted fiddles". The pictures aren't good enough to determine if they are real grafts, or just fake, scratched grafts. You need to examine them very closely to determine if all the grain continues across the cut line (fake), or the grain is discontinuous (real). For figuring out origin, you need to supply good quality pictures following the advise in the sticky post "How To Photograph an instrument for identification" .

Its obviously a real graft as there is no flame in the pegbox like there is in the neck, the same appears to be true for the other violin as well

im sorry the pictures are not great but these fiddles belong to a friend who is in bad health and it’s hard to get pictures because he is so sick on top of that he lives a good distance from me so just trying to get an idea on these before I drive over to purchase one of them. I’m wanting an old fiddle to display mainly preferably 18th century  violin to match the contents of my formal living room.

thanks Matt