Maestronet Forums

Retired?

This new year marks a turning point in my life. Because of Parkinson’s disease my workshop is now closed. My tools and materials are long gone, but with luck, the publications on my website will be hosted by the Violin Society of America, where it is intended that anyone will still be able to download them free of charge. This is being made possible by the VSA and the support of my Canadian friend and fellow violin maker, Chris Ruffo (Urban Luthier). Chris has already contributed to the violin community by editing and rearranging many of my articles and talks. As well as several new titles, this site will include the mammoth Making a Double Bass project, containing more than 370 photographs and 24000 words. It also incorporates never and before published information about violin making and varnishing.

Sometime soon, my beautiful library of books, along with my archive’s drawings and collection of photographs, will eventually be sold to help fund the next stage in my career as a poverty-stricken novelist.

My first book, Angel Eyes, is now available, both as a paper back and as an e-book. Covering the period from the 1920s to the present day, Angel Eyes is the first of five hard-hitting fact-based fictional accounts of abuse, corruption and greed in the violin business. Angel Eyes chronicles the life of a young American woman, Grace Scott, as she attempts to become a violin connoisseur in a world entirely dominated by men. Grace's worldwide adventures continue in volumes II III IV & V, which are already complete and awaiting publication.

I make no apologies for the fact that, especially towards the end of this series, each volume becomes progressively darker and more erotic. You have been warned. Nevertheless, in spite of ­­­­­­their intensity, these works are also sensitive and occasionally amusing. Moreover, because they were initially conceived as a set of reference works to help musicians and violin makers identify classical Italian instruments, each novel still encompasses a profusion of information about violin identification, making, restoration and even varnishing. The framework within which this information is set may be fictional, but the technical ­­­­­­­­­­­­­data itself, is as accurate as I could make it.

Because of my illness I am having difficulty publicising these works. Please help by passing this information to anyone who might be interested. Thank you, Roger Graham Hargrave.

So sorry to hear that your illness is impacting on your retirement. :(

However, I do hope you still find enjoyment in your new career as an impoverished author! :wub:

I am just getting into Angel Eyes.  I am enjoying the 'fact-based fiction' approach.  So, like, as I read... I'm saying (mostly to myself) "Ha!  I knew that!  Ha!  I heard about that too!" :D

On 2/1/2024 at 4:27 PM, Rue said:

So sorry to hear that your illness is impacting on your retirement. :(

However, I do hope you still find enjoyment in your new career as an impoverished author! :wub:

I am just getting into Angel Eyes.  I am enjoying the 'fact-based fiction' approach.  So, like, as I read... I'm saying (mostly to myself) "Ha!  I knew that!  Ha!  I heard about that too!" :D

Hi Rue, I hope that you continue to enjoy Engel Eyes and the ones that follow. :D

Looking forward to reading them all! :D

And I'm learning more as I read too!

*possible, but unlikely, spoiler alert*

I had to look up the Hungarian ******* Song. Really interesting history.

It’s always sad to hear if a colleague puts down his tools and stops working. If this is under the shadow of a serious illness so much more. And if this comes from THE violin maker who spent his entire life to unravel the details of forgotten techniques by trying to copy them like no one else I feel that a whole era of violin making came to an end. :(

There used to be one title of an article written by you which became in my life as a violin maker most inspiring: Tried and tested. I have to confess that when I first read that 3 part article I didn’t understand one word but I knew that I had to understand what it is about and what is the whole logic behind it. (And helped me to brush up my insufficient English in a very practical way) It was an eye opener which later extended to try and test many things and my own (weird) ideas (though almost never related to classical making techniques) 

Though our paths crossed a few times long ago I am sure you can’t remember my face. So I am sending my best wishes in a kind of incognito mode. Thanks for the inspiration you have given me and I will look out for your book(s) and recommend them to anyone who might have interest in non-fiction fiction violin tales. (Or maybe it is better to think about the violin world as pure fiction because it makes more sense. (?);))

Good luck to you, Roger Graham Hargrave! As a poverty stricken novelist you are in good company with some of the most famous writers on this planet. :D

Andreas Preuß 

PS: If you are interested in some hilarious stories from the titanic world of DM I can PM a few to you.