Maestronet Forums

Interesting "Dutch" fiddle?

Lex_Luthier

On 1/22/2024 at 2:10 PM, Blank face said:

I would like to know what kind of wood was used for the bottom, and if scroll and ribs are made from the same.

The questions about the construction of the ribs, if there are channels in the back for them, are still unanswered, though this could give some clue. At least lininigs being mortised into corner blocks aren't an old Dutch construction method. Also a mid 1700s dendro doesn't prove that the violin really was made during this period. To be clear, it must have been very, very well preserved (or extraordinary well restored) for 250 years or more of age. Also the photos are showing different colors and shadings of the varnish - which is more real?

I have no idea about the ribs, if you have any guesses… I took some more photos. The back and scroll looks the same only flames maple neck from a graft. The top appears to be some pretty squirrelly sap wood of some kind. 

IMG_8805.dng IMG_8810.dng IMG_8806.dng IMG_8807.dng

Edited by Lex_Luthier
Pictures didn’t appear the way I intended

9 hours ago, duane88 said:

French lutherie of the 17th century - Tarisio

Check out the Ash violin and the commentary down the page.

WOW. Very interesting. I was suspecting ash but never would have thought it would be ever used on a fiddle much less being pliable enough to bend for ribs.
The ribs I suspect are later, they aren’t at all consistent with the rest of the instrument, but this article sheds light on possible explanations on this as well. Thanks for the link! 

Edited by Lex_Luthier
Further explanation

9 hours ago, Blank face said:

For me these ribs are not from the 18th century, probably even not from the early 19th, no matter what dendro is telling. The belly looks much like artificially antiqued, too.

UV light doesn’t show any inks, or foreign materials. And I also suspect the ribs are not original. 

13 hours ago, Lex_Luthier said:

UV light doesn’t show any inks, or foreign materials. And I also suspect the ribs are not original. 

That's quite typical for antiquing, there isn't anything which wasn't there from the start, and all is covered by the same varnish. Real wear and dirt shows up very well under UV.

If the ribs aren't original, it could mean that the bottom isn't, too. Therefore was my question reg. the wood. OTOH varnish and purfling looks very similar overall.

I can only judge by the photos, maybe it looks different having it in hand. The other set of photos, where the varnish appears more orange, is it from an auction? And was it Peter Ratcliff who made the dendro, had he anything to note about the origin?