Maestronet Forums

What's this one please?

phillip77

8 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

A product of the Markneukirchen/Schönbach cottage industry, pre WWI

So, a usual but not quite the usual kind of usual? Is it possible to pin it down to a more specific area or merchant who dealt in  usuals?  I am curious because I once found a violin that was a body double of this one in a box of unclassified heritage material, same weird long arch and beaded appearance to the edgework plus horrible mismatched soundboard wood and circular saw marks inside on the ribs but it had a stunning amber-yellow  varnish that was finely crazed and seemingly original. Pinning it down is a suitable term in this case because the soundboard had been nailed on to the ribs with tiny little nails. 

31 minutes ago, LCF said:

So, a usual but not quite the usual kind of usual? Is it possible to pin it down to a more specific area or merchant who dealt in  usuals?  I am curious because I once found a violin that was a body double of this one in a box of unclassified heritage material, same weird long arch and beaded appearance to the edgework plus horrible mismatched soundboard wood and circular saw marks inside on the ribs but it had a stunning amber-yellow  varnish that was finely crazed and seemingly original. Pinning it down is a suitable term in this case because the soundboard had been nailed on to the ribs with tiny little nails. 

That sounds like a handyman special.  

11 hours ago, LCF said:

There is an immense range of “usuals” and not least due to the commercial practice of the time, no way to ascribe each one to any individual

There are just so many of them it beggars the imagination! And they keep turning up sometimes looking as if they had been played a few times then never touched again until 100 years later. 

Not the one I mentioned though. That had been fatally touched.