Maestronet Forums

£1 carboot Band and Bernardel?

FritzCrysler

Hi All,

A friend of mine bought this violin for £1 at a carboot sale. Madness regarding even the amount of flamed maple. I ran a google image search and found this - https://www.isabellesviolins.com/gandbernardel/?photo=Back 

- by way of the purfling around the button (see image)

- the perfling has the same diagonal split near the neck too

- similar single piece flamed back and scroll

- I can also see similar grafting on the head / scroll

- F holes and perfling looks a bit different on front but have found others by the same maker that match.

- It looks like someone has attacked it with a sander and crappy varnish on top?

IMG-20231224-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20231224-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20231224-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20231224-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20231224-WA0011.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/11/2024 at 7:46 PM, David Burgess said:

Uhm, who was it that rendered this opinion?

On 1/11/2024 at 9:32 PM, Wood Butcher said:

It might have been this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Dickinson

:lol: Haha! That's brilliant... Hopefully not. I'll not shop the shop since you lot seem like the lost boys of peter pan. It's been established 60 year, the main place for sales and repair the guy knows what he's talking about. Admittedly. I'm not too chuffed about the crappy varnish colour and slightly dodgy purfling. 

This is certainly not Gand&Bernardel. But a few years ago I met up with a guy in Munich who bought one for a few Euros at a yard sale. It was genuine, in an old Menesson case. One of those with golden letters writing on the ribs. I don't know what he did with it, he didn't want to sell it.

• 2 weeks later...

Pictures (better than shown on here), it's getting a proper look next week. Whatever the result I'll let you all know. It'd be quite funny if it is chinese. I'd had another shop take a look and they said it looks to be Italian but it needs a proper valuation, go to bromptons. I've paid for a proper setup and it blows my little £500 german violin clean out of the water.

As I wrote above, it looks like an autodidactical violin from the first half of the 20th century, and there were also a lot of these in Italy (as in many other places). So it's possible, but not really remarkable, and hard to prove as long as there aren't some identical references of known origin. Slightly better than a Salustri, but not much.;)