Maestronet Forums

Scrollaveza & Zanre template material, what is it?

Thomas Coleman

A few years back I purchased the  book and arching templates of the Bros Amati viola produced by Scrollaveza and Zanre.  Does anyone know what material the arching templates are made from?  It's similar in appearance and texture to formica laminate but maybe not as brittle.  2mm thick.  Black.  I wouldn't mind buying some of that material or similar.  I have 3mm plywood but would like something thinner and easily worked.  Knowing the material may help me search.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, Thomas Coleman said:

Davide, I have contacted S and Z but have not heard back from them yet.  I'm sure they are plenty busy. 

Brad, I have used this material before for some templates!  But like you speculate, I think it's a bit wobbly for arching templates.

Is it possible for them to be made with a 3D printer? the plastic used in 3D printers can be very rigid, but I'm just speculating, I don't own a 3D printer:)

Do you think it might be something like this?

https://polytech-plastics.com.au/product/bakelite-phenolic-sheet-brown/

They have a square meter of 1.6mm for $AU122  I'm sure you'd find an alternate supplier in your vicinity. 

Formica is a melamine/paper based product originally invented for insulation so maybe try an electrical insulation company to see what they have.

Phenolic and melamine aren't much fun to work with. Sand and grind or use high speed carbide tooling with light cuts, and wear a good mask. 

You can easily test phenolic. Heat a tip of nail and touch the plastic in spot that willnot ruin it. Common thermoplastics will just melt, the phenolic is very heat resistant and will certainly not melt, perhaps you'll get a brown dot. Bakelites are often colored from light brown to black and contain filler material like paper or cloth.

I've used plexiglass for templates. It's cheap and plentiful in any thickness and works well.

sounds like Tufnol kite  phenolic /cotton board (or sometimes paper or glassfibre ), its darker than the cheaper version called Carp, whale,etc. Ive used it to make spare gears/ changewheels for lathe screwcutting.  Horrible to work with though , absolutely stinks and the yellow coloured fine dust gets everywhere. Its often used for router table tops and router dovetail templates etc...

22 hours ago, fiddlecollector said:

sounds like Tufnol kite  phenolic /cotton board (or sometimes paper or glassfibre ), its darker than the cheaper version called Carp, whale,etc. Ive used it to make spare gears/ changewheels for lathe screwcutting.  Horrible to work with though , absolutely stinks and the yellow coloured fine dust gets everywhere. Its often used for router table tops and router dovetail templates etc...

That dust is quite hazardous too. It contains something like formaldehyde.  Another brand name is Garolite. That used to be paper based but now it's usually fibreglass based which adds another level of nastiness for working it.