Maestronet Forums

Unusual (to me at least) frog mount

HH1978

I have had a lot of experience with bows, and I don’t recall ever seeing one just like this.  It does not look like a high-quality bow, but it does look like a variant of frog mounts that occasionally are seen on very cheap bows.  It has been damaged and repaired.  Someone shortened the mortise because the hair was too short, and the mortise was later filled to repair the damage.

A Hill-style frog mount has a different shape and was done with a lot more skill and precision.

What does the stamp say?

Its a German bow from late 19th century using what is called ' Cornice seating' or 'tongue and groove ', method of fitting frog to the stick, it was used on old bows from Markneukirchen and Mittenwald (also other areas in the region) , yours looks like a cheap bow , a piece has been added to the mortice due to someone lengthening it ,making it too long. Also the adjuster is a later addition, originally it was probably bone.

53 minutes ago, fiddlecollector said:

Its a German bow from late 19th century using what is called ' Cornice seating' or 'tongue and groove ', method of fitting frog to the stick, it was used on old bows from Markneukirchen and Mittenwald (also other areas in the region) , yours looks like a cheap bow , a piece has been added to the mortice due to someone lengthening it ,making it too long. Also the adjuster is a later addition, originally it was probably bone.

On looking again at the photos ,the stick you show could be anything as it looks either altered to fit the frog or visa versa.

Heres a rather nice early Markneukirchen one showing the cornice seating , that i used to have .

P1330672.jpg

Though it is quite right that in the later 19th century this kind of frog attachment was used for cheap and nasty bows only, early examples can be very nice (like fiddlecollector’s). A very informative essay about this period of bow making is here:
https://tarisio.com/archet-revolutionnaire/kai-koepp-french-or-german-bows-for-beethoven/

Thanks! It's very informative.

The bow is not mine, and I have not seen it in person. It was sold a few days ago on ebay Germany. I was mostly intrigued by the frog mount so I didn't save the other pictures. I think the stamp said "Lafleur", but it's irrelevant anyway.

The frog itself looked very crudely made, like the example in "odd folk art" thread. And the stick, from what I remember, looked poorly cut. So a very bottom quality range makes sense.