Maestronet Forums

A violin by Collectif Lutherie Montréal

Hopeq

Hi, I am seriously looking at a violin made by stellar luthiers from CLM, currently on sale at Johnson Strings.  This violin has a beautiful warm and even tone over all four strings.  It has interesting colors as well.  I have purchased a violin from another contemporary maker who offered a lot of security in case the new violin needs adjustment down the road.  The experience has been excellent.  However, dealing with an instrument made by a group of luthiers is new.  Does anyone have any thoughts about this type of collaboration?  While we are not trying to make money off this violin, we do hope that with time, its market value will go up.  Are we better off to find violins made by a specific maker? TIA.

On 11/27/2023 at 10:03 AM, Hopeq said:

( ... ) While we are not trying to make money off this violin, we do hope that with time, its market value will go up.  Are we better off to find violins made by a specific maker? TIA.

The values of most bowed stringed instruments will continue to rise, only if there are later generations to play and value them.

Certainly, my experience has been that better instruments have kept me interested. The value of improvements and insights developed from newly chosen instruments is perhaps greater than the actual retail or selling value of most instruments.

Not that there are ways to know about the future. There are analysts, scientists and dealers who could speculate. Just that life and economics do not apply to all instruments. Purchases should ideally made for the love of the instrument?

I know nothing of these particular instruments, but Johnson strings should be able to offer reliable information that might potentially bolster the value of the instrument. 

• 4 weeks later...