Maestronet Forums

New Cello Bow! Woohoo!

Rue

Well...I accidentally bought a new cello bow! :ph34r:

When the CF bow wasn't working for me...I went on eBay just to see what was available...and found a bow at auction with a really low bid that was about to end...so I started clicking...just to see how little it might go for...and kept clicking...and then hit "You have the winning bid!".

Uh-oh. :huh:

Well, I figured, no problem, these bids always get sniped at the last moment...and I'll be off the hook!

Nope. No sniping. The cello bow is mine!

It arrived today. Looks very nice. I rosined it. Tried it out...and I think it's a winner! :D

It's already drawing a much more robust/richer sound from the cello...I was quite surprised.

Will still need more rosin worked through the hair though...it pulls a bit uneven...but nothing like the CF bow...and it feels much better to handle horizontally than the viola bow.

Fingers crossed! 

p.s. the white bit on the leather looks like glue. It's barely noticeable in real life. Not sure why it's so visible in the photo.

20231124_164034.jpg

20231124_163136.jpg

20231124_163225.jpg

20231124_163438.jpg

13 hours ago, Rue said:

When the CF bow wasn't working for me...I went on eBay just to see what was available...and found a bow at auction with a really low bid that was about to end...so I started clicking...just to see how little it might go for...and kept clicking...and then hit "You have the winning bid!".

Uh-oh. :huh:

Well, I figured, no problem, these bids always get sniped at the last moment...and I'll be off the hook!

Nope. No sniping. The cello bow is mine!

It arrived today. Looks very nice. I rosined it. Tried it out...and I think it's a winner! :D

It's already drawing a much more robust/richer sound from the cello...I was quite surprised.

Will still need more rosin worked through the hair though...it pulls a bit uneven...but nothing like the CF bow...and it feels much better to handle horizontally than the viola bow.

Fingers crossed! 

p.s. the white bit on the leather looks like glue. It's barely noticeable in real life. Not sure why it's so visible in the photo.

Congrats on winning the eBay bow lottery.  Based on the lack of enthusiastic bidding, it sounds to me like "the common wisdom" outsmarted themselves again.  :lol:  It happens sometimes.   ^_^

Please PM me with the details, I'm interested in who you bought it from.  :)

Congrats on finding a bow that works for you!  I'm currently experimenting with one of their “Genuine Pernambucowood” violin bows.

The price you paid, while low for a cello bow, is at the high end of what their “Silver mounted! Master Model! A Genuine Pernambucowood Cello Bow!professional!” bows typically sell for, which you can see by doing a completed listings search.

6 hours ago, Rue said:

Thanks guys! :)

It's a YitaMusic "Master" bow and I got it for about $150 USD...plus S&H.

I have had absolutely no issues with this company over the years. So I don’t mind giving them a thumbs up.

Bargain. 

3 hours ago, Cerulean5346 said:

Congrats on finding a bow that works for you!  I'm currently experimenting with one of their “Genuine Pernambucowood” violin bows.

The price you paid, while low for a cello bow, is at the high end of what their “Silver mounted! Master Model! A Genuine Pernambucowood Cello Bow!professional!” bows typically sell for, which you can see by doing a completed listings search.

Inverted commas noted.  It's getting harder to tell from pictures, because they're getting more and more Pernambucalike.

But still a very nice looking bow. 

Thanks!

I have no reason to think it's not pernumbuco, 81.3 g, silver mounted. All as advertised. Horse hair looks like good quality. 

The "Buy it now" price is $600 USD.

I don’t know if anyone ever buys items at that price, and I did look at previous "wins"...and found one that went for $80...but I still don't feel like I overpaid. It was an accidental purchase. I didn't want to sit on bids indefinitely trying to find a better deal. Too stressful.

I also assume these are loss leaders, at least to some extent.

I played it today, and after another good rosining session, it played even better than yesterday.

Maybe a professional wouldn't like it (for whatever "advanced" reason, but I am unlikely to ever get to that point). So a good accident for me! :D

1 hour ago, Rue said:

Thanks!

I have no reason to think it's not pernumbuco, 81.3 g, silver mounted. All as advertised. Horse hair looks like good quality. 

The "Buy it now" price is $600 USD.

I don’t know if anyone ever buys items at that price, and I did look at previous "wins"...and found one that went for $80...but I still don't feel like I overpaid. It was an accidental purchase. I didn't want to sit on bids indefinitely trying to find a better deal. Too stressful.

I also assume these are loss leaders, at least to some extent.

I played it today, and after another good rosining session, it played even better than yesterday.

Maybe a professional wouldn't like it (for whatever "advanced" reason, but I am unlikely to ever get to that point). So a good accident for me! :D

The "advanced" reason is more to do with the product description rather than the quality of workmanship, which is excellent.

3 hours ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

That's not Pernambuco, probably some kind of Chinese wood, its recognized by the lack of visible grain or flame

A pernambuco blank costs about $100 obviously a cheap bow couldn't afford real Pernambuco

It's Ipé. About $1 for a blank. Ideal for student bows because it has the same density and stiffness as Pernambuco. It also has similar grain characteristics.

They stain it red and finish it with lacquer to make it look very similar to Pernambuco.

The difference in playing characteristics is a good topic for debate. Or it would be if people could actually make an effort.

4 hours ago, Rue said:

Not Ipe.

Agreed.  Whatever their “Pernambucowood” might actually be, it is definitely not the same as what they call “Ipe.”  The Ipe is reddish and is covered with a glossy finish, as Sospiri says.  When it breaks (more on that in a minute) it is grey on the inside.  The “Pernambucowood” is dark brown and appears to be bare wood.

Ignoring the product description and judging it on its own merits, the “Pernambucowood” bow plays well and has a good balance between stiffness and flexibility.  Like Rue, I prefer it over the carbon fibre bow I had been using. The sound is much more pleasant than the harsh and glassy tone produced by the cheap CF.  It is currently the one I reach for most often.  Their hybrid bows can also be very good.

On the other hand, the heads broke off of both my Ipe bows.  I didn’t drop them or overtighten them, and I always loosened the screw completely after each practice session.  One day I was tightening the screw and suddenly – SNAP!  It seems that the Ipe they are using splits too easily along the grain to be used for bow making.

On 11/24/2023 at 8:38 PM, Rue said:

Congrats on the new bow!  That white bit looks like corn starch from the photo, people often use it as dry lube when installing a tube on their bow. If that's the case you can take a slightly wet rag and wipe that off easily.

18 hours ago, Cerulean5346 said:

Agreed.  Whatever their “Pernambucowood” might actually be, it is definitely not the same as what they call “Ipe.”  The Ipe is reddish and is covered with a glossy finish, as Sospiri says.  When it breaks (more on that in a minute) it is grey on the inside.  The “Pernambucowood” is dark brown and appears to be bare wood.

Ignoring the product description and judging it on its own merits, the “Pernambucowood” bow plays well and has a good balance between stiffness and flexibility.  Like Rue, I prefer it over the carbon fibre bow I had been using. The sound is much more pleasant than the harsh and glassy tone produced by the cheap CF.  It is currently the one I reach for most often.  Their hybrid bows can also be very good.

On the other hand, the heads broke off of both my Ipe bows.  I didn’t drop them or overtighten them, and I always loosened the screw completely after each practice session.  One day I was tightening the screw and suddenly – SNAP!  It seems that the Ipe they are using splits too easily along the grain to be used for bow making.

Ipé can be dark or light brown in colour. It grows in vast areas of south and central America. 

And if your bow heads are snapping, they are obviously of inferior quality.

15 hours ago, TenorClef said:

Congrats on the new bow!  That white bit looks like corn starch from the photo, people often use it as dry lube when installing a tube on their bow. If that's the case you can take a slightly wet rag and wipe that off easily.

Thanks! I think you're right. I scrubbed it off with water. It didn't come off completely, but some did come off.

It's really not visible, unless you have a magnifying glass out! ^_^

On 11/25/2023 at 2:38 AM, Rue said:

Congrats for your bow! the most important is you re happy with it.:D

one time I bought a cello 'master' permambouco from a Chinese product dealer. It was very fine made (everything fine and clean) but in fact poor quality - and even worse as carbon fiber bow.

So I now wonder what do these factory call "Master", maybe only fine looking. Maybe you were lucky to get on top a nice piece of wood selection.