Maestronet Forums

Portrait of George Chanot( London)

Kev Chanot

I am keen to find a portrait of George Chanot, painted in the late 19th century by Ernest Gustave Girardot.

It shows Chanot holding a violin and is entitled " Studying a Stradivarius".

This picture as far as I know was sold at Sotheby's in 1985. It was bought by a gallery in London. I am very keen to discover its whereabouts.

If anyone on MN has any info I should be very grateful.

8 hours ago, Kev Chanot said:

If anyone on MN has any info I should be very grateful.

I have no information to help you but wondered if you have ever contacted Adam Whone?  - I believe George Chanot II was associated with Withers at one time and I know that Mr. Whone has conducted considerable research into the company history. 

15 hours ago, Bob K said:

I have no information to help you but wondered if you have ever contacted Adam Whone?  - I believe George Chanot II was associated with Withers at one time and I know that Mr. Whone has conducted considerable research into the company history. 

I have contacted Adam Whone in the past on other matters. Thank you for the suggestion.

14 hours ago, fiddlecollector said:

Have you ever seen the painting?  I looked on all the art databases i know of and could only get back as far as 1987.

I have a photocopy of the painting, and I too have searched several databases and not found it. I believe  someone in Essex purchased it from a London gallery in mid 1985. Thank you for looking.