Maestronet Forums

Approximate Value of my Cello? 84 EH Roth

Newoldcelloplayer

I have a 1984 EH Roth (Bubenreuth-Erlanger) cello, and I’m just wondering the approximate value - both in terms of how much I should insure it for, as well as if I were to ever sell it what a reasonable asking price might be. The label only says the name and year, but there is a serial number E3-1054 if that helps.

I can post pictures if needed, but I’d say it’s in decent shape. I got it when I was in 4th grade and played it for a few years, but it’s been essentially unused for 25+ years. It has a few little dings, but nothing I would consider even moderate damage. (Though obviously this isn’t my area of expertise whatsoever, so maybe even the slightest imperfection is egregious, I really have no clue).

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge and expertise!

14 hours ago, Newoldcelloplayer said:

I have a 1984 EH Roth (Bubenreuth-Erlanger) cello, and I’m just wondering the approximate value - both in terms of how much I should insure it for, as well as if I were to ever sell it what a reasonable asking price might be. The label only says the name and year, but there is a serial number E3-1054 if that helps.

I can post pictures if needed, but I’d say it’s in decent shape. I got it when I was in 4th grade and played it for a few years, but it’s been essentially unused for 25+ years. It has a few little dings, but nothing I would consider even moderate damage. (Though obviously this isn’t my area of expertise whatsoever, so maybe even the slightest imperfection is egregious, I really have no clue).

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge and expertise!

Welcome to Maestronet!! 

However,

Getpics.gif.ff1aa3d53f08ffbb425706adf2264d18.gif

https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/333119-how-to-photograph-an-instrument-for-identifcation-purposes/

The same sort of clear, focused, multi-view pics necessary for ID are needed for even a rough valuation.  First, we have to be reassured that your ID is correct.   :)

17 hours ago, Newoldcelloplayer said:

Besides the condition, the price will depend on where and how  you sell it: consignment versus auction, dealer versus private sale, New York versus Mississippi, etc. 

Because people that post to this site come from all over the world with different backgrounds and experience, price estimates here tend to be all over the world, too.

Take it to a reputable appraiser in your area to pay for an insurance appraisal. (You will need that to get insurance anyway.) He/she should also be able to advise you on sales venues. If you decide to sell wholesale to a dealer, shop it around to several dealers.

Note: Insurance appraisals are for "Replacement Value" which are usually somewhat higher than fair-market retail value.