Maestronet Forums

Violin identity

JWho

Hi. This is my first post here and I have joined specifically for this purpose.

This violin has been given to me, for my son to try to learn to play. I am completely new to stringed instruments and know nothing about them really. 

I spotted the label inside, it reads "Joseph Klotz Maker Anno 1791"and wanted to find out if it really could be as old as the label suggests before letting my (sometimes clumsy) 11 year old loose on it.

I have read a few of the previous threads in here and have tried to follow the guide to photographing the instrument (as best as I can with a phone camera). I understand that it is unlikely to get a definitive 'yes' that it is a Klotz without being seen in oerson but am seeking opinion as to whether it is worth further investigation or if there is anything that makes it obvious not to be real.

I want to be clear, I am not looking to sell or profit from this instrument so am not looking for any valuation, I just want to make sure that if it is what the label suggests that it gets looked after accordingly.

The lady who gifted it to us has had it many years and cannot remember where she got it from. 

Thank you for reading and I look forward to any input you may have.

20231110_115626.jpg

20231110_115646.jpg

20231110_120522.jpg

20231110_120059.jpg

20231110_120132.jpg

20231110_120442.jpg

20231110_120508.jpg

20231110_120451.jpg

20231110_120829.jpg

20231110_120702.jpg

20231110_120159.jpg

20231110_120942.jpg

20231110_121103.jpg

20231110_125511.jpg

6 minutes ago, Jwillis said:

No this is not a Klotz. It’s 100 years newer than the label suggests 

Thank you for your reply. I suspected that it is not as the label suggests. What gives it away to you? 

Would you let an 11 year old, who has never previously held a violin, use this or should I find something else for him to start out on?

To me it looks like an unaltered Saxon trade violin from the late 1800s. I deal with this sort of thing all the time. Properly set up, it should make a good starter violin and is well worth taking care of. Make sure your 11-year-old respects it. It's nothing special as violins go, but it's far and above a $199 Ebay violin outfit.

9 hours ago, JWho said:

This violin has been given to me, for my son to try to learn to play. I am completely new to stringed instruments and know nothing about them really. 

I agree with the others' comments here. I would just add that be sure the violin is the right size for your son to start out on. A child should not start on a full-size violin if it is too big for them. His teacher should be able to advise on this. I hope it works out well for him.

Also, welcome to MN! You did very well with your pictures.

20 hours ago, GeorgeH said:

I agree with the others' comments here. I would just add that be sure the violin is the right size for your son to start out on. A child should not start on a full-size violin if it is too big for them. His teacher should be able to advise on this. I hope it works out well for him.

Also, welcome to MN! You did very well with your pictures.

That is good to know regarding the size thank you. I will ask for advice from the tutor before he starts lessons.

Thank you to everyone for your replies. Although it would have been great to find out it was genuine, it is also great to know that is could turn out to be a great instrument for my son to learn on.