Maestronet Forums

Nicolas Joseph Harmand Cello bow

twcellist

Wanted to reach out here and ask if anybody is familiar with the bow maker Nicolas Joseph Harmand? Seems like he did not make many bows (according to various sources), but the bows he did made are fine quality. I've come across a Harmand bow that's in mint condition (can't post pics sorry) and I'm trying to figure out the value. I see there is a Harmand Violin bow somewhere for around $60K, but other than that not many other reference points to go off of. Also, wondering if this type of bow is collectible. I've been told that the style of the bow is very suited for Beethoven as this maker was around the same time as Beethoven.

There are a few Harmands who made bows in the early 1800s. Their work is quite recognizeable and rather lumpy - it's really not valued in the marketplace.

I've never heard of a Harmand fetching anything iike $60k, unless it's one of the examples in L'Archet or something quite outside of the ordinary. Neuetaxe gives values under $20k.

Other makers working during the time of Beethoven - NL Tourte, FX Tourte, Persoit, Eury, Gaulard etc ...

On 11/9/2023 at 10:46 AM, martin swan said:

Their work is quite recognizeable and rather lumpy - it's really not valued in the marketplace.

Lumpy ,what do you mean by that?? I`ve seen a few and some were quite nice  but generally they are undervalued in favour of their  more valued contemporaries.

6 hours ago, fiddlecollector said:

Lumpy ,what do you mean by that?? I`ve seen a few and some were quite nice  but generally they are undervalued in favour of their  more valued contemporaries.

Heads rather lacking in elegance ... small chamfers ...rather plain wood

Having said that the example that Gartsman has looks very nice compared to anything I've seen. It is a very late one.

9 hours ago, martin swan said:

Heads rather lacking in elegance ... small chamfers ...rather plain wood

Having said that the example that Gartsman has looks very nice compared to anything I've seen. It is a very late one.

Right, i dont think ive seen enough of them to make any kind of judgement. Ones ive seen are all over the place, just like Gaulard ,ive dozens of photos of Gaulards ,and most head shapes and workmanship is different. let alone all the bows Raffin etc.. classes as school of this and that, of which some could have been made by the  Harmands. I dont think enough is known about them. Some of the earlier Harmands with a swan neck shaped head are quite nice. But like many of these early bows they are what they are and a product of the era.

All that said ive never seen a cello bow by the Harmands, only violin and viola.

35 minutes ago, fiddlecollector said:

Right, i dont think ive seen enough of them to make any kind of judgement. Ones ive seen are all over the place, just like Gaulard ,ive dozens of photos of Gaulards ,and most head shapes and workmanship is different. let alone all the bows Raffin etc.. classes as school of this and that, of which some could have been made by the  Harmands. I dont think enough is known about them. Some of the earlier Harmands with a swan neck shaped head are quite nice. But like many of these early bows they are what they are and a product of the era.

All that said ive never seen a cello bow by the Harmands, only violin and viola.

Same, never seen a cello bow though there are a couple in L"Archet that don't look too refined ...

Looking at published examples, I get the same sense as with Gaulard and a few other makers (Lafleur, Gaudé, JV Henry) that we must be looking at the work of quite a few different people. It suggests that the names on many of these early 19th century bows are more just brands than indications of the maker. We definitely see Lafleurs which are Lupots and JV Henrys which are JD Adams etc.