Maestronet Forums

More reasons to never buy a violin from eBay....

Wood Butcher

On 11/3/2023 at 12:24 PM, Wood Butcher said:

Of course, they are all "Italian" :lol::D:lol:

I'm amazed the Italian government doesn't send a hit squad round the world, in order to stop its cultural history being destroyed by numbskulls.

Certificate styled on the pirate treasure maps children make at primary school.

Also not Italian...

Am-Arrrrgggh-ti

Lord help us....

This is the part I don't understand... unless these "watchers" are actually in a click-farm in India:

god help us.jpg

3 hours ago, Wood Butcher said:

Yes, it is just plain, slab cut maple.
Most of what you are looking at is dirty antiquing on top.

Thanks! 

I have to ask questions...when these examples go "against the grain". :ph34r:

FWIW...I've grown to like the look of slab cut. Is there any reason, other than popular aesthetic preferences, why you see it less often?

19 minutes ago, Rue said:

Thanks! 

I have to ask questions...when these examples go "against the grain". :ph34r:

FWIW...I've grown to like the look of slab cut. Is there any reason, other than popular aesthetic preferences, why you see it less often?

Slab cut backs used to be quite common in the early period. You will find significant numbers of Amati instruments with it, also features in works by the Stradivari, Guarneri, Rogeri, Ruggeri and many other makers of the period. Both in Italy, and elsewhere.

Slab wood tends to have a difference in the type of sound it makes, which I would describe as softer and more diffuse. It also is more prone to cracking as the centuries pass, and can distort more than quarter sawn wood. The type of pattern it shows, when flamed, can be very beautiful. A much more interesting figure, than the strong regular flames of quarter sawn maple.

On 11/5/2023 at 6:11 AM, Wood Butcher said:

( ... )

Slab wood tends to have a difference in the type of sound it makes, which I would describe as softer and more diffuse. It also is more prone to cracking as the centuries pass, and can distort more than quarter sawn wood. The type of pattern it shows, when flamed, can be very beautiful. A much more interesting figure, than the strong regular flames of quarter sawn maple.

Very nice description. 

There were quite a few customers in the past who hesitated purchasing slabcut instruments despite their tone and playbility. When it was a family decision, surprisingly it was one parent ( often the father ) that was against the "plain" back.

On 11/4/2023 at 4:04 AM, jacobsaunders said:

As a matter of fact, the Italians are fearsome burocrats

In 1967, I was in the US Army, stationed in Germany. My best friend, a lieutenant, had been born in Italy. We traveled to Italy on vacation, and in Florence he was arrested for draft evasion (as an American citizen and serving officer in the US Army) due to his Italian birth.  It seems one is registered for compulsory military service at birth. Thanks to the efficiency of the Italian bureaucracy, it only took most of a day to get him released. I thought I was in a Fellini movie for a while.

• 4 weeks later...