Maestronet Forums

Vuillaume style frog rehair

Guido

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I always wondered if there is anything to rehairing the Vuillaume style frogs that I may have missed.

I have only ever seen them with hair flat at the bottom of the ferrule like in the attached picture.

Just wondering if there was any "thinking" behind the design?

I could imagine running the hair up on the sides to the widest point of the ferrule. That way, more pressure when playing would simultaneously give you a wider ribbon of hair on the string - a double whammy on dynamics.

Just wondering what Vuillaume was thinking with the design innovation?

IMG_4176.JPG

5 hours ago, Guido said:

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I always wondered if there is anything to rehairing the Vuillaume style frogs that I may have missed.

I have only ever seen them with hair flat at the bottom of the ferrule like in the attached picture.

Just wondering if there was any "thinking" behind the design?

I could imagine running the hair up on the sides to the widest point of the ferrule. That way, more pressure when playing would simultaneously give you a wider ribbon of hair on the string - a double whammy on dynamics.

Just wondering what Vuillaume was thinking with the design innovation?

IMG_4176.JPG

This looks with the exaggerated wide angled sides more like a Markneukirchen bow, so it doesn’t tell much about Vuillaume’s considerations.

OTOH one needs to make a wedge shaped exactly to match the ferrule or it isn’t possible to spread the hair ribbon as wide as it would be necessary for a rounded profile. Obviously the person who made the rehair didn’t bother to do it this way.

Ok, here are three more examples I have around at the moment. Two German, one French; but I don't think that matters at all regarding the question of design intention. All of them, again, just have a flat ribbon and no hair running up the sides.

17 hours ago, Blank face said:

...Obviously the person who made the rehair didn’t bother to do it this way.

So, is it a thing? Or intended to be, that the hair runs up the sides of the ferrule to about the widest point? Was that Vuillaume's idee with this design?

IMG_4177.JPG

IMG_4178.JPG

IMG_4179.JPG

I really don't know what he was thinking ;)

But the rounded bottom edge does help to avoid the ebony chipping off the lower corners, as often seen on normal frogs.

I usually chamfer the ferrule so the hair goes up the sides a bit. But most players who use these (whom I've asked) don't seem to mind the thinner ribbon... even like it.

Perhaps it was mostly stylistic?

4 hours ago, M Alpert said:

I really don't know what he was thinking ;)

But the rounded bottom edge does help to avoid the ebony chipping off the lower corners, as often seen on normal frogs.

I usually chamfer the ferrule so the hair goes up the sides a bit. But most players who use these (whom I've asked) don't seem to mind the thinner ribbon... even like it.

Perhaps it was mostly stylistic?

Vuillaume was a restless and brilliant innovator - in the case of the Vuillaume model of bow, I think it’s a synthesis of style and function.

With bow hair, less is generally more. Also a slightly curved ribbon takes into account the inevitable rotation of the bow when playing at the heel.

The later German interpretations generally miss both points and just have a strange oversized curvey ferrule

What I was taught was that the curved ferrule was designed to allow more contact on the playing edge of the hair. When rehairing a bow with a Vuillaume-style frog, the hair is not supposed to be a flat ribbon, but to follow the curve of the sides so that as the bow tilts there’s more hair available. It does make cutting the spread wedge more fiddly, but you get used to it after doing a few.