Maestronet Forums

NY Tarisio October 2023

PaganiniVuillaume

On 10/25/2023 at 2:33 PM, David Burgess said:

That's Siefried, not Sigfried. I'd really like to own one of his bows, since we overlapped in the Weisshaar shop, were friends until he passed away, and he was one of the most talented observationists and artists I have ever run across . I may bid on it, since I am already set up to bid on one my violins.

Sheesh, if I can buy one of my violins within the Tarisio estimate of 10 to 15K for lot#163 at the November auction, when I have about a seven-year waiting list of people wanting buy them for more like 38K (and am likely to pass away before all of that comes to fruition), why wouldn't I do that? :)

I played your violin. It was great!!!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, PaganiniVuillaume said:

P.S. I hope you got the Siefried bow David!

I ended up not bidding on anything. I'd really want to examine things in person, particularly bows, since they can have repairs or minute cracks which cannot be seen unless one meticulously examines every surface of the bow from every angle with something at least as powerful as a jeweler's loupe.

I'm pretty sure I know who ended up with my violin, since one person only started bidding after I got a call this morning asking about it. This person had examined and played the violin in person, and really liked it, so they weren't going in blind by any means. They had done their homework. I am happy for that person. :)

4 hours ago, David Burgess said:

I...

I'm pretty sure I know who ended up with my violin, since one person only started bidding after I got a call this morning asking about it. This person had examined and played the violin in person, and really liked it, so they weren't going in blind by any means. They had done their homework. I am happy for that person. :)

That's happy news! 

21 hours ago, germain said:

I liked the Pressenda? It had 400K reserve but ended up selling at 350. I really disliked the Rocca

( pics )

Where you able to check the set up?

The pairing is expected. Pressendas are often beautiful. Not supporting the or any Rocca. But why?

I ask, because of the contrast. Most Roccas that I have played have been interesting. There might be a bit of "disrespect" when Roccas are observed, but as a very important regional maker, any info would be interesting. The ratio of my playing the instruments might have been 1:8 or 1:16? for there have been more Roccas on the market.

The Rocca sounded pretty bad. Even with an extensive set up I just cannot imagine how it can get better. The Pressenda had something really special about it.  It was like tasting the finest wine. Hard to explain. Not to mention the visual beauty of it…. Although the Vuillaume was more projecting and soloistic. 

On 11/19/2023 at 2:40 AM, chrissweden said:

Did anyone try the Gagliano? IMO It sold way too cheap! Insignificant f wing cracks, not even an sp crack. Condition was amazing, perhaps arching a bit high?

The Simon was a surprise, why did it sell for so much? 8 different bidders wanted it so it must've played fantastic?

The Gagliano sounded great- among the better examples in the high end range.  

It's an interesting topic.

I am not a player unfortunately, but I get a lot of feedback regarding how instruments sound and play quite often through my work.

It seems that certain instruments always seem to sound bad to most people, others seems to always sound good and then everything in the middle seems to just be on a case by case basis / player preference. Everyone hears things differently.

I've heard the same instruments played by numerous different people, some might love it instantly, some may hate it. Some people make it sounds good, some people just can't make it work.

The psychology of the relationship between musician, instrument and maker is something of interest to me. If I ever were to undertake a doctorate...

• 2 weeks later...

Not going to the T- 2 NY Dec 2023. But as always, interesting. Viewed it with a friend and he might go. Curious if the overall quality is improving, post- Covid. Stuff currently making it into shops is rather impressive or at the least educational. Saw several items that I played three decades ago.  

Posting because their Estimates are particularly generic this time. Has it become a big inside joke? Maybe just now noticing how generic the pricing has become.

On 12/2/2023 at 2:56 PM, GoPractice said:

Not going to the T- 2 NY Dec 2023. But as always, interesting. Viewed it with a friend and he might go. Curious if the overall quality is improving, post- Covid. Stuff currently making it into shops is rather impressive or at the least educational. Saw several items that I played three decades ago.  

Posting because their Estimates are particularly generic this time. Has it become a big inside joke? Maybe just now noticing how generic the pricing has become.

The December 2023 T-2 seems to me, like one of the best T-2 auction offerings I have seen in awhile.  Checked out condition reports for many bows and violins and so far, only a handful of issue-laden items.  Mostly good condition!  AND--by far this T-2 has the most items with certificates of authenticity that I have seen in awhile.  Very interesting and makes good for hours of window shopping!

3 hours ago, violinnewb said:

The December 2023 T-2 seems to me, like one of the best T-2 auction offerings I have seen in awhile.  Checked out condition reports for many bows and violins and so far, only a handful of issue-laden items.  Mostly good condition!  AND--by far this T-2 has the most items with certificates of authenticity that I have seen in awhile.  Very interesting and makes good for hours of window shopping!

Well, sorry to state the obvious, but a lot of those certificates are contradicted by the sales estimates and therefore not necessarily believed to be accurate...

4 hours ago, mmmm said:

Well, sorry to state the obvious, but a lot of those certificates are contradicted by the sales estimates and therefore not necessarily believed to be accurate...

This is my point. Not everyone's papers are bad. And even bad papers are significant if one can assess what the actual item might be. It's a little frustrating because the estimates are stupid.

I would purchase ten+ items anywhere near the estimates. If they are fishing for new bidders that is their professional approach.

It is in Tarisio's interest to put nice things in the T2. Papers or not, there are clearly some nice authentic instruments in this T2. I would not dismiss a certificate as being questionable simply because the instrument is in the T2 or the estimate seems low. 

(Disclosure: I do not have any lots in this auction.)

On 12/5/2023 at 10:49 AM, mmmm said:

While I understand what you are trying to say, you are looking at a couple of factors in terms of a single result.

1. Tarisio estimates are prudent estimates because they are trying to avoid liability while being transparent.  They are a business with good reputation.

2. People who certify instruments and bows do this for a living.  Most have high reputations.  They can be wrong sometimes, but their business model depends upon their reputation.  

To say that either an estimate or certificate are dubious dependent upon the other is a little off.  For example, if Maestro Raffin certifies an Ouchard bow and Tarisio places estimates around $3k to $5, one does not mean the other is wrong.  Ouchard bows can fetch alot more money than $3k.  That doesn't cast doubt on the authenticity of certification.

On 12/5/2023 at 6:21 PM, GeorgeH said:

It is in Tarisio's interest to put nice things in the T2. Papers or not, there are clearly some nice authentic instruments in this T2. I would not dismiss a certificate as being questionable simply because the instrument is in the T2 or the estimate seems low. 

(Disclosure: I do not have any lots in this auction.)

I would agree!  This T2 looks to me like it has a lot of nice offerings.