Jump to content
Maestronet Forums

AI Is Writing eBay Listings


GeorgeH

Recommended Posts

It has been interested to see how many sellers are turning to ChatGPT and other AI programs to write their ad text, so gobbledygook like this is becoming common in violin listings:

"The violin produces a rich, full sound and is ideal for both beginners and professionals. Its country of origin and age give it a unique character that cannot be replicated in newer instruments. This violin is a must-have for any collector or musician looking for a piece of history."

It is particularly funny when the violin being listed clearly has not been set-up or played.

As an experiment, I asked ChatGPT to "write an auction listing for a violin" and this is what it returned:

Title: Exquisite Handcrafted Violin - A Masterpiece of Sound

Description: Welcome to a remarkable opportunity to own a truly exceptional musical instrument. This handcrafted violin is a testament to the artistry and craftsmanship of violin making. Whether you are a professional musician seeking your next performance instrument or a collector of fine instruments, this violin will captivate you with its exquisite design and unparalleled sound.

Features:

1. Superb Craftsmanship: This violin was meticulously handcrafted by a master luthier using the finest materials, resulting in a visually stunning instrument. The select spruce top and well-aged maple back and sides provide a beautiful foundation for the rich, warm tones this violin produces.

2. Exceptional Sound: The violin produces a sonorous, balanced tone with a beautiful depth and resonance. It is versatile, capable of expressing a wide range of emotions, from the delicate and sweet to the powerful and assertive.

3. Impeccable Condition: This instrument is in excellent condition, having been lovingly cared for throughout its life. It has been regularly maintained, and its varnish beautifully preserved.

4. Historical Provenance: The violin comes with a detailed history, including information about its origin, previous owners, and any notable performances or recordings it may have been a part of.

5. Accessories: Included with the violin are a high-quality case to protect and transport your investment, as well as a professional-grade bow that complements the violin's tonal qualities.

6. Certificate of Authenticity: Rest assured, the authenticity of this violin is guaranteed. It comes with a certificate from a respected authority in the field of stringed instruments.

7. Playability: The violin is easy to play, with a comfortable feel and a responsive nature that will allow musicians to unlock their full potential.

Specifications:

  • Type: Violin
  • Top: Select Spruce
  • Back & Sides: Well-Aged Maple
  • Fingerboard: Ebony
  • Tailpiece: Boxwood
  • Chinrest: Boxwood
  • Varnish: Hand-Applied
  • Size: Full size (4/4)

This is a rare opportunity to own a violin that not only embodies the tradition and artistry of violin making but also delivers an exceptional musical experience. Whether you're a professional musician, a serious student, or an avid collector, this violin is an investment in both art and music.

Bidding on this violin is your chance to own a piece of musical history. Don't miss out on this extraordinary opportunity. Place your bid now and experience the magic of this exquisite violin. Feel free to contact us with any questions or requests for additional information. Happy bidding!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

“The human mind is not, like ChatGPT and its likes, a glutton statistical machine for structure recognition, that swallows hundreds of terabytes of data and snatches the most plausible answer to a conversation or the most likely to a scientific question.”
The other way around... the human mind is a surprisingly efficient and elegant system operating with a limited amount of information. It doesn’t try to injure raw correlations from data but tries to create explanations. [... ]
Let's stop calling it "Artificial Intelligence" and call it what it is: "plagiarism software." Don’t create anything, copy existing works from existing artists and alter it sufficiently to escape copyright laws.
It's the largest theft of property ever since Native American lands by European settlers. "
Noam Chomsky, New York Times - March 8, 2023
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, martin swan said:
"Let's stop calling it "Artificial Intelligence" and call it what it is: "plagiarism software." Don’t create anything, copy existing works from existing artists and alter it sufficiently to escape copyright laws.
It's the largest theft of property ever since Native American lands by European settlers. "
Noam Chomsky, New York Times - March 8, 2023

It is also assimilating decades of both subtle and overt bias and racism into its databases, and then integrating it as factual into its large language models (LLM). This has been demonstrated in AI chatboxes used for answering medical questions.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

AI is everywhere... I've deleted a few posts which I suspected were AI by "new members".  The language and information was almost believable, but things were slightly "off". I approved one recently to see what happened with the members next post, if it occurred. The second the post was approved a link for online gambling was inserted (I mean the second!)... so I assume spammers are having a grand time with this technology. I do worry about this becoming harder to detect as AI develops.

I am not an AI robot.  :-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Rue said:

...on the plus side...the correct use of 'their, they're and there' is improving! :rolleyes:

Maybe we need to reach the point where spelling mistakes ARE the way to tell if a post is real or not...:mellow:

The machines are clever Rue, they will emulate our mistakes! Before long we will all be stored in the cloud as data, without a physical form!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, martin swan said:
“The human mind is not, like ChatGPT and its likes, a glutton statistical machine for structure recognition, that swallows hundreds of terabytes of data and snatches the most plausible answer to a conversation or the most likely to a scientific question.”
The other way around... the human mind is a surprisingly efficient and elegant system operating with a limited amount of information. It doesn’t try to injure raw correlations from data but tries to create explanations. [... ]
Let's stop calling it "Artificial Intelligence" and call it what it is: "plagiarism software." Don’t create anything, copy existing works from existing artists and alter it sufficiently to escape copyright laws.
It's the largest theft of property ever since Native American lands by European settlers. "
Noam Chomsky, New York Times - March 8, 2023

Chomsky doesn't understand modern AI nor Machine Learning.  There is no intelligence. ML only uses many parameters (GPT-4 up to 1.7T)  - data points - and based on past patterns, choses likely associations.  Essentially it is pattern prediction, based on defined parameters. 

He is referring to a very limited use - altering existing artictic works -  that many LLMs try to guard against.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Jeffrey Holmes said:

AI is everywhere... I've deleted a few posts which I suspected were AI by "new members".  The language and information was almost believable, but things were slightly "off". I approved one recently to see what happened with the members next post, if it occurred. The second the post was approved a link for online gambling was inserted (I mean the second!)... so I assume spammers are having a grand time with this technology. I do worry about this becoming harder to detect as AI develops.

I am not an AI robot.  :-)

I saw that - I think it was a varnish question.  The post seemed entirely believable, but there was a non-sensical online gambling insertion in the middle of the paragraph, then the text went back to being on topic.  I thought maybe the author had been infeected with some malvertising... 

Now, wouldn't AI, if told to lie, tell us that "I am not an AI bot?" Please tell us what you have done with our beloved Jeffrey!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, l33tplaya said:

Chomsky doesn't understand modern AI nor Machine Learning.  There is no intelligence. ML only uses many parameters (GPT-4 up to 1.7T)  - data points - and based on past patterns, choses likely associations.  Essentially it is pattern prediction, based on defined parameters. 

He is referring to a very limited use - altering existing artictic works -  that many LLMs try to guard against.  

For me he's making a more general philosophical point about what constitutes "thinking".

Of course when it comes to text, there's always been a question about in what context the borrowing of ideas or phrases becomes "cheating", but with AI the concept of plagiarism becomes impossibly difficult.

Chat GPT is there to save time and money - it can only do that by displacing human effort. I don't really have a position on whether that's good or bad but it's most definitely an ethical question.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, martin swan said:

For me he's making a more general philosophical point about what constitutes "thinking".

For me there's vast difference between just "thinking" and "intelligence". I don't think AI would invent lightbulb if you give it the same data that Edison had before th invention.

I work with VERY talented kids and you can see the disffference. Every kid can think and solve problems at some level (depending on their knowledge base and skill) but few can initiate to find and define wholly new problems AND solve them at the same time. AI can barely do the former up to the level of it's learning data-set but will probably never get close to the later.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...