Maestronet Forums

Old Violin Restoration & ID

Jonathan21

Bought this instrument as part of a lot with two guitars from the 1920s-1930s. It has no markings inside. I was wondering what era it may have been made. And if it's worth paying a professional to restore. My 10 year old is a cellist in a youth orchestra and they always need violins. Does it need a lot more work than just a new fretboard? 

16975618429315626952659823260337.jpg

16975618726583303552619660915760.jpg

16975618894992251674120732262652.jpg

16975619104067351439874630892670.jpg

16975619309633054898525738304636.jpg

16975619450621119099954983468983.jpg

16975619666676816361595551399967.jpg

16975619785888119191953417904318.jpg

16975619940282097565602166744209.jpg

16975620093207077313595722997301.jpg

16975620448442842119034305969694.jpg

16975620717706486584528466561814.jpg

11 hours ago, Jonathan21 said:

Bought this instrument as part of a lot with two guitars from the 1920s-1930s. It has no markings inside. I was wondering what era it may have been made. And if it's worth paying a professional to restore. My 10 year old is a cellist in a youth orchestra and they always need violins. Does it need a lot more work than just a new fretboard?

Welcome to Maestronet!  IMHO, you have a German trade violin of indifferent quality from the Markneukirchen area circa 1900.  While I see no obvious damage or open cracks, it does need a full set up including a fingerboard. probably a soundpost, definitely having the bridge properly cut (it's merely a blank), a peg job, new strings, and the body seams checked for separations (then reglued if necessary).  I'd estimate that you are looking at around $500 worth of parts and labor, if nothing else is found under close examination.  :)

I’d say getting the violin into playing condition along the lines above would cost more than $500. Making a new fingerboard alone will chew up most of that amount.

However prices vary by location and standard of work.

Overall it might be worthwhile for the violin if it ends up a good player, but rather borderline if not.

Would be a much better prospect if the fingerboard would still be around. It hasn’t been off for long judging by the nut still in place.

6 hours ago, Violadamore said:

Welcome to Maestronet!  IMHO, you have a German trade violin of indifferent quality from the Markneukirchen area circa 1900.  While I see no obvious damage or open cracks, it does need a full set up including a fingerboard. probably a soundpost, definitely having the bridge properly cut (it's merely a blank), a peg job, new strings, and the body seams checked for separations (then reglued if necessary).  I'd estimate that you are looking at around $500 worth of parts and labor, if nothing else is found under close examination.  :)

I'd agree with all of that. You really need to get it to a good violin luthier. Be sure to tell them that it's going to a youth orchestra. They may give you a special deal for that.

Is it worth repairing/restoring?  

Well, you @Jonathan21 said that your child's youth orchestra is in need of violins.  When you ask about "worth," are we looking at resale value "worth" or "worth" related to a child in need getting to play a playable instrument?

If the violin is already your, and if it costs about $500 or so to restore it playing condition, I would say that its worth it in terms of a goodwill donation and gesture for a child in need.  Tax deductible donation and a smile on a child's face. Worth it.  The look of pride you get from your own child for you doing a good thing, priceless

16 hours ago, GeorgeH said:

You could buy 2 decent Chinese student violins with cases and bows for $500. Just sayin'

Not doubting that at all.  But, the OP got the violin as part of a parcel which included 2 guitars.  I assume he bought the guitars and got the violin for free.  Either way, he doesn't seem to need the violin.  Donating 2 Chinese violins that cost the OP $500 doesn't relieve him of the violin he already has.  

12 hours ago, violinnewb said:

Not doubting that at all.  But, the OP got the violin as part of a parcel which included 2 guitars.  I assume he bought the guitars and got the violin for free.  Either way, he doesn't seem to need the violin.  Donating 2 Chinese violins that cost the OP $500 doesn't relieve him of the violin he already has.  

After having donated the 2 Chinese violins he can put the violin as a relieve into the dustbin. And has made 3 children (incld. his own) smile.

Spot on. If it were in playable condition, I would have donated it to the youth symphony without consulting this group. I didn't want to discard it, if it was worth restoring. Thanks to everyone's help, I now know it's not worth messing with. I will continue to purchase violins for the youth symphony when the opportunity arises and hopefully get something nice for them from time to time.

13 hours ago, Jonathan21 said:

Spot on. If it were in playable condition, I would have donated it to the youth symphony without consulting this group. I didn't want to discard it, if it was worth restoring. Thanks to everyone's help, I now know it's not worth messing with. I will continue to purchase violins for the youth symphony when the opportunity arises and hopefully get something nice for them from time to time.

You get some money on ebay as is, best to start $1 w/o reserve. Should be able to raise $200-$300 towards a good use with the youth symphony.

4 hours ago, Guido said:

You get some money on ebay as is, best to start $1 w/o reserve. Should be able to raise $200-$300 towards a good use with the youth symphony.

Or VdA's $ 20 incld. shipping.:)

3 hours ago, Mark Caudle said:

This is surely worth something to someone who can get it playing themselves without too much work. Ebay or donation to someone who wants it seems better that the dustbin.

One should note that "the dustbin" is a metaphorical allegory, or a cultural chiffre.

To my untrained eye, this violin is not "dustbin" material.

If the violin is 100 years old, needs a fingerboard and some minor work, which I think $500 seems reasonable, think of the impact it would have on a child whose parents cannot afford a violin.  Now, can you get a decent sounding Chinese violin for $500 these days?  Honestly, my experience is NO.  Even Chinese factory violins, especially the decent ones, go for far more than $1,000.  

Also, this may or may not be the case, but kids don't usually know lots about violin history and the trade.  You give a kid a violin that sounds okay and tell him/her its 100 years old, they are going to be nothing shy of excited.  That excitement and confidence boost goes a long way in actual skill development.  If I got this violin as a freebie with 2 guitars, I think all of the sentiment (and the slight tax write-off) is well worth $500. 

1 hour ago, Blank face said:

Or VdA's $ 20 incld. shipping.:)

One should note that "the dustbin" is a metaphorical allegory, or a cultural chiffre.

Please quote me correctly.  My tagline is "$50 and FREE SHIPPING!" :P   I have my standards, after all.  I'll leave any fiddle that's, IMHO, worth less than that, for the Brits and Germans.  Noblesse oblige.  :lol:    

29 minutes ago, violinnewb said:

To my untrained eye, this violin is not "dustbin" material.

If the violin is 100 years old, needs a fingerboard and some minor work, which I think $500 seems reasonable, think of the impact it would have on a child whose parents cannot afford a violin.  Now, can you get a decent sounding Chinese violin for $500 these days?  Honestly, my experience is NO.  Even Chinese factory violins, especially the decent ones, go for far more than $1,000.  

Also, this may or may not be the case, but kids don't usually know lots about violin history and the trade.  You give a kid a violin that sounds okay and tell him/her its 100 years old, they are going to be nothing shy of excited.  That excitement and confidence boost goes a long way in actual skill development.  If I got this violin as a freebie with 2 guitars, I think all of the sentiment (and the slight tax write-off) is well worth $500. 

Yup.  Mostly agree, except about how cheap the Chinese prices still go sometimes.  In the current market the OP violin is too promising to throw away.   :)      

1 hour ago, Violadamore said:

Please quote me correctly.  My tagline is "$50 and FREE SHIPPING!" :P   I have my standards, after all.  I'll leave any fiddle that's, IMHO, worth less than that, for the Brits and Germans.  Noblesse oblige.  :lol:    

Yup.  Mostly agree, except about how cheap the Chinese prices still go sometimes.  In the current market the OP violin is too promising to throw away.   :)      

Please quote me correctly, too. Nobody talked about "throw it away", just put it in a bin to collect dust untill the right occasion is to come.<_< When I'm looking upwards, I know where to put it.

IMG_9391.jpg

36 minutes ago, violinnewb said:

Dustbin: British (origin) - a can for trash or garbage.

“Dustbin.” Merriam-Webster.com Dictionary, Merriam-Webster, https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dustbin. Accessed 20 Oct. 2023.

:o

3 hours ago, Blank face said:

A lot of difficultys could be avoided if people would not take everything too literally.