Maestronet Forums

A surprise in the new Cormac McCarthy

arglebargle

On 5/13/2023 at 11:52 PM, martin swan said:

Cormac McCarthy needs a copy editor :lol:

All writers do. That’s why copy editors and proofreaders exist. You clearly know nothing about writing and publishing. 
You can’t see the glaring errors in that text?

> Maybe you could apply for the job?

Is that supposed to be an attempt at sarcasm? You know nothing about my credentials or who I have worked for. I don’t need the job as I am more or less retired now after a successful and well-paid career as a writer, editor, copy editor and proofreader. 

17 hours ago, David Burgess said:

A woman shouldn't be "mansplaining". Stay in your lane, you usurper. ;)

I'm fluent in womanese thus can comment on this topic. I'll be skulking back into oblivion shortly, but I know what i know. Also, apropos of this week's discussion, not telling likes Cormac McCarthy. I don't see how someone wouldn't. 

11 hours ago, rudall said:

All writers do. That’s why copy editors and proofreaders exist. You clearly know nothing about writing and publishing. 
You can’t see the glaring errors in that text?

> Maybe you could apply for the job?

Is that supposed to be an attempt at sarcasm? You know nothing about my credentials or who I have worked for. I don’t need the job as I am more or less retired now after a successful and well-paid career as a writer, editor, copy editor and proofreader. 

It’s a narrative voice.

Unless you’ve already read the novel then I don’t see how you can judge who the character is who’s speaking/narrating or how the author wants that character to speak.

I start from the assumption that one of the English language’s greatest living writers knows what they are doing and that his publishing team do too …

2 hours ago, martin swan said:

It’s a narrative voice.

Unless you’ve already read the novel then I don’t see how you can judge who the character is who’s speaking/narrating or how the author wants that character to speak.

I start from the assumption that one of the English language’s greatest living writers knows what they are doing and that his publishing team do too …

So it's meant to be cringeworthy?

Or was it meant to wind DB up?

Didn't work though, he seems quite chuffed.

1 hour ago, Shelbow said:

I'll mention all of you in my upcoming novel; Waffles in the washbasket

A tale of love, lust and depravity in a small spoon making village in Belgium.

I think your new novel should be called "The Violin Moderator", contrary to the title it should have as its main subject a maker of raised crust artisan pork pies and the rhubarb sheds of Wakefield.

Also I think you could write it quickly by attaching a pen nib to a sawzall - an oblique tribute to modern violin making methods and Mr Burgess - and make it a sort of synthesis of automatic writing, stream of consciousness and Jackson Pollock.

I will be your proofreeda?

21 minutes ago, Andrew tkinson said:

Also I think you could write it quickly by attaching a pen nib to a sawzall - an oblique tribute to modern violin making methods and Mr Burgess - and make it a sort of synthesis of automatic writing, stream of consciousness and Jackson Pollock.

Call it Stradivari's Wake.    :lol: