Jump to content
Maestronet Forums

A surprise in the new Cormac McCarthy


arglebargle

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, rudall said:

Is that a photograph of a page in a book? It needed a copy editor/proofreader. 

Well thats kind of what makes McCarthy McCarthy aint it.

I find his writing unbearable. Guess I'm just too stoopid to appreciate it. Color me a fully paid up member of the confederacy of dunces.

Cool to see our world making an appearance in such highfalutin literaychewer, all the same...:D

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Yes, but doesn't using me as someone who is without characteristics or function describe me perfectly? How could he have done it better? ;):)

The whole sentence reads “A guy named Burgess in Ann Arbor” full stop (period in Ann Arbor). Any normal mortal reader can only ask him/herself “Burgess guy what?"

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bodacious Cowboy said:

Well thats kind of what makes McCarthy McCarthy aint it.

I find his writing unbearable. Guess I'm just too stoopid to appreciate it. Color me a fully paid up member of the confederacy of dunces.

Cool to see our world making an appearance in such highfalutin literaychewer, all the same...:D

 

I'm the exact opposite.   ;)   I find his writing unbearable because, among my other character building mistakes in life, I've worked as a technical writer and editor.  In tech and science writing, unlike in "belles lettres", absolute clarity is required, and the reader's questions are supposed to be answered.  Some of the more artsy fiction writers make my fingers itch for a red pencil.   :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bill Merkel said:

You have to be a Navy Seal or an ambassador to know what Tom Clancy is talking about. 

[Looks over the top of her aviator rims, admonishingly.]

Not necessarily...........there are other jobs that speak the language.   :D

Theconsultant.thumb.jpg.92d3e4fa2e9773b43ab77cf20b09d712.jpg

 

LOL.thumb.jpg.ef309cd711b359fab1f312fd9609cec9.jpg

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jacobsaunders said:

The whole sentence reads “A guy named Burgess in Ann Arbor” full stop (period in Ann Arbor). Any normal mortal reader can only ask him/herself “Burgess guy what?"

 

Haven't I already answered that?
Do you British-turned-Austrian folks place higher value on multi-volume descriptions of something, than on "economy of words"?

Some of the older "elite" English writing styles seemed to place a high value on using as many words as possible, to say as little as possible. ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, David Burgess said:

Some of the older "elite" English writing styles seemed to place a high value on using as many words as possible, to say as little as possible.

Ain't that style called politician speech?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...