Maestronet Forums

Otto-Infeld old style metal tailpiece with 4 fine tuners and solid metal wire tail wire

Mat Roop

I have a bag full of similar Kronotone tailpieces, varying metals, designs and fractional.  I've never ever set one these up, never checked the spacing, since they look terrible and I've always been horrified by the wire and brass tube tailgut.  Every instrument that I've taken them off of was in need of a saddle swap, and usually has a nice windshield wiper scar across the top too.  Does anyone upgrade the gut and utilize these?

image.png.8c62e9937a2b2774f095db5eb6be052c.png   Viola Tailpiece for sale | eBay

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/20/2023 at 1:48 AM, Marty Kasprzyk said:

The strings are mounted onto an extension of the fingerboard with the same string spacing and arch shape as the bridge such that the string after-lengths are parallel. 

Interesting design. At first sight (fingerboard getting an upward pull and possibly flatter angle of the strings over the bridge?) it seems to me that less downward force is applied to the bridge. Doesn't this negatively affect the sound?

On 3/20/2023 at 12:06 AM, lvlagneto said:

...Does anyone...utilize these?...

I played for years with a great Irish-style fiddler who used one.  He stripped off the black paint, leaving a bare aluminum finish, which gave it an unusual look.

10 hours ago, mezzopiano said:

Interesting design. At first sight (fingerboard getting an upward pull and possibly flatter angle of the strings over the bridge?) it seems to me that less downward force is applied to the bridge. Doesn't this negatively affect the sound?

The one piece fingerboard-tailpiece completely eliminates the string tension's longitudinal compressive load on the top plate.  

The shallow 166 degree string angle over the bridge instead of the typical 158 degree angle reduces the downward force on the top by about 20%.  I haven't seen much change in tone color with by using this shallow angle.

The use of the hole through the top plate for the sound post further reduces the downward load by about 50% so the total downward string load on the top plate is about 40% of a normal violin or viola.

The reduction of these loads allows the top plate to be lighter than normal.  My most recent viola's top weight was only 55g compared to about 80g for a traditonal viola's top.  This weight reduction might give a small but noticeable increase in loudness--I'm guessing maybe a dB or two.

This isn't much loudness increase but remember there's only a small difference between annoying and irritating.