Maestronet Forums

Matthias Alban?

CValdez

Hello everyone. I'd like to start off by thanking those of you who commented on my last post. I took that instrument to two luthiers. Unsurprisingly, Jacob was spot on. It's a Gütter workshop fiddle from the mid 1800s! Not worth much, but I adore it.

I have another violin for you to look at. It has a label that reads "Mattio Alban fecit Bolzan. 1704". I'm not sure if Alban actually used this label at any stage of his career, but the violin appears to be 18th century work. It is in very rough shape (crooked/sunken arching, soundpost/bassbar cracks, bulging ribs, thin/abraded edges, woodworm damage, etc), and I wonder if it's even worth restoration.
What are your thoughts on it? 
Could this be the work of one of the Albans?

IMG_20230301_112315~2.jpg

IMG_20230301_113121~2.jpg

IMG_20230301_113003~2.jpg

IMG_20230301_113137.jpg

IMG_20230301_112126~2.jpg

IMG_20230301_112005~2.jpg

IMG_20230301_112028~2.jpg

IMG_20230301_112301~2.jpg

IMG_20230301_112434.jpg

IMG_20230301_112817~2.jpg

32 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Alban(i) is a name that one sees in countless violins. The biographical details are probably best dealt with in the Österreichische Musiklexicon Alban, Familie Matthias: (musiklexikon.ac.at) Yours would seem to be from the South German/Austrian area mid to late 18th C

Thank you for clearing that up. The blocks in my violin extend more into the upper/lower bouts, and the linings are let into the blocks (part of one block split to reveal a narrow channel). Is that consistent with their working methods?

26 minutes ago, CValdez said:

Thank you for clearing that up. The blocks in my violin extend more into the upper/lower bouts, and the linings are let into the blocks (part of one block split to reveal a narrow channel). Is that consistent with their working methods?

Yes, that is consistent with building the ribs around an "inside form" which was standard practice in S. Germany/Austria (with exceptions)during the 18th C. There were quite a lot of them though

The head/scroll are almost exactly right for Matthias, except for the forehead being just enough flat to notice, like the guy ran out of wood there from trying to get by with a marginally too-small blank. If everything else were right about it though, it would pass muster as a MA 8n exceptional conditi9n, with no problem (from what the oicture shows). 

The f-holes kill it as an Anybody Alban though, without needing to look further.  I suspect, FWIW, that it's a composite (head not original to the body).

YMMV.