Jump to content
Maestronet Forums

Mike Molnar


joerobson

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, MikeC said:

There should be a memorial violin build.  

I could contribute a wood kit:  top, back, ribs, neck, fingerboard, and bridge... all from Mike, and all torrefied by me.  I can also complete the kit with torrefied material for the bass bar, endblocks, and cornerblocks.  Nut and saddle too from Mike.  The only things missing would be purfling, linings and fittings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Don Noon said:

I could contribute a wood kit:  top, back, ribs, neck, fingerboard, and bridge... all from Mike, and all torrefied by me.  I can also complete the kit with torrefied material for the bass bar, endblocks, and cornerblocks.  Nut and saddle too from Mike.  The only things missing would be purfling, linings and fittings.

I will do the ground and varnishing.

on we go

Joe

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll miss Mike too.  I spoke with him once regarding his astronomical/astrological work and findings regarding the star of Bethlehem, etc.  Some members who may not be aware of this side of Mike's life would find it quite interesting.

R.I.P. Mike.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Ron1 said:

I'll miss Mike too.  I spoke with him once regarding his astronomical/astrological work and findings regarding the star of Bethlehem, etc.  Some members who may not be aware of this side of Mike's life would find it quite interesting.

This is the book he wrote about it:
https://www.amazon.com/Star-Bethlehem-Legacy-Magi/dp/0813564719

More on his research into this:
https://wisconsinlife.org/story/the-astronomy-behind-the-fabled-star-of-bethlehem/

Interestingly though, considering the focus of this research, he was not a Christian.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I learned of Mike's passing only this morning via the obituary his wife, Shelley, shared with The VSA for distribution to the membership.  While I can't date our meeting with any precision, I suspect Mike and I first bonded over varnish.  Probably in our first conversation we discovered that Mike was an undergrad student of my father in Bucknell's religion department, as I think I have mentioned here before.

The story goes that dad tried - without success as we all know - to convince Mike to pursue religious studies.  Had Mike listened, we might not have his insights on varnish and on the Star of Bethlehem today.  And few if any of us perhaps would have met him.

I will miss our gentlemanly varnish discussions - Mike was, among so many other things, a real gentleman - and VSA convention dinners and periodic phone check-ins.

My condolences to the universe of Mike's MN friends.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know that a lot of stuff was donated to VSA; I'm not sure if the in-process violin was part of that.  I have emailed Shelley to find out.  Even if VSA has it, presumably there would be some interest in getting it out and completed.

If not, my offer still stands to supply all of the wood for the project.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Don Noon said:

I know that a lot of stuff was donated to VSA; I'm not sure if the in-process violin was part of that.  I have emailed Shelley to find out.  Even if VSA has it, presumably there would be some interest in getting it out and completed.

If not, my offere still stands to supply all of the wood for the project.

I am in for ground and varnishing.

I suggest the proceeds of the sale establish a fund for maestronet members to attend Joe Thrift's violin making workshop.

We need someone...not me...to do central coordination.

on we go,

Joe

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here are the parts that Shelley still has.  Looks like 2 PG garlands and a pile of back plates in various states of completion.  If anyone wants to begin the process of putting this together, let me know or contact Shelley directly.  Mike had nearly completed his last violin, but it is being kept in the family.  Unfortunately I can't justify putting off my clients to work on this... and the bum shoulder is limiting what I can do anyway.  I can add a neck block, torrefied top wood, and fingerboard to the effort.

IMG_0006.thumb.jpg.77e01e3cb1b93db286785c1bace020da.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Don Noon said:

Here are the parts that Shelley still has.  Looks like 2 PG garlands and a pile of back plates in various states of completion.  If anyone wants to begin the process of putting this together, let me know or contact Shelley directly.  Mike had nearly completed his last violin, but it is being kept in the family.  Unfortunately I can't justify putting off my clients to work on this... and the bum shoulder is limiting what I can do anyway.  I can add a neck block, torrefied top wood, and fingerboard to the effort.

IMG_0006.thumb.jpg.77e01e3cb1b93db286785c1bace020da.jpg

 

Great Don.  That's a start.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...