Maestronet Forums

A little shopping trip...

Renegade

I encounter that type of peg occasionally.  Though they are quite ugly, I find that they can work well when the nuts are correctly tightened.  If you plan to use them, you should be aware that two of them have left-handed threads, and these are for the lower strings, I think.  If they are not for the lower strings, they are for the higher strings.

9 hours ago, Brad Dorsey said:

I encounter that type of peg occasionally.  Though they are quite ugly, I find that they can work well when the nuts are correctly tightened.  If you plan to use them, you should be aware that two of them have left-handed threads, and these are for the lower strings, I think.  If they are not for the lower strings, they are for the higher strings.

Yes, I want to use. Thanks for the advice (!), I hadn't thought of that thread at all. There may be allso another problem. Some peg chambers are very low, and you may find that the outer diameter of the peg extends beyond the chamber... especially the A and D strings

5 minutes ago, Blank face said:

Nice. I have this (or very similar) pegs still installed at a scroll, interestingly each pair connected with a plastic ribbon and a patent number. Always wondering if the number is giving a date. November 2204?:rolleyes:

137B56E3-C66B-4595-8464-505C1211966A.jpeg

A459B1EB-EF84-48BD-9977-AE10FE221C72.jpeg

C6C9DC3A-F87A-4D96-BD55-B561AEB442A7.jpeg

Maybe - November 22. 1904 :)

2 hours ago, Spongebob said:

Maybe - November 22. 1904 :)

Yes, I forgot that in English the date is written the wrong way.:)

1 hour ago, Mille regardz said:

You can find the patent for these pegs here:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US775767A/en?oq=us775767

Thanks! The same guy invented the basic form of a combined chin and shoulder rest. Somewhere I have such a thing, too.

040773E3-CF2C-498E-9E15-B293672EFAFB.thumb.jpeg.9afc4e740dcbe7daa84996e666cae864.jpeg

https://violinspiration.com/the-essential-guide-to-using-a-violin-shoulder-rest/

But he seems not to be related to the reknown Becker family of makers, or was he?

7 hours ago, Blank face said:

But he seems not to be related to the reknown Becker family of makers, or was he?

Quite possibly unrelated. In the Chicago area alone, there are three unrelated Beckers in the fiddle business. Maybe more that I don't know of.

SpongeBob, I found the Menuhin chinrest using a scissor-jack to adjust the height to be quite interesting. Had never run across one, and never even known that this existed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2023 at 4:47 PM, Brad Dorsey said:

I have serviced the tuners, and they work fine, I'm only reusing them to try and keep it original for the owner. Yes, lefty is the Bass side.  Thanks for your input.

On 2/8/2023 at 2:03 AM, Spongebob said:

Yes, I want to use. Thanks for the advice (!), I hadn't thought of that thread at all. There may be allso another problem. Some peg chambers are very low, and you may find that the outer diameter of the peg extends beyond the chamber... especially the A and D strings

My set had one plastic bushing on the outer end the other 3 were missing, so T made them out of brass fittings --worked fine. 

The most correct is biggest to smallest...year month day. The next most correct is smallest to biggest...day month year. Although we tend to say March 3rd...rather than the 3rd of March...it's the least correct. How we write and how we speak are two different things.

Although I did have a supervisor once who would change his nicely edited written material back to the original (cringe-worthy) copy...'cuz that's just the way plain folk shoot the breeze.

And...for what it's worth...the English drive on the correct side of the road. I can't remember why it changed in North America and other parts of the planet...

Oh Google! Whatcha got on that?

5 hours ago, Rue said:

The most correct is biggest to smallest...year month day. The next most correct is smallest to biggest...day month year. Although we tend to say March 3rd...rather than the 3rd of March...it's the least correct. How we write and how we speak are two different things.

Although I did have a supervisor once who would change his nicely edited written material back to the original (cringe-worthy) copy...'cuz that's just the way plain folk shoot the breeze.

And...for what it's worth...the English drive on the correct side of the road. I can't remember why it changed in North America and other parts of the planet...

Oh Google! Whatcha got on that?

I don't want to interrupt such important considerations about date spelling and the correct side of driving...:) ...just to mention that the chin has arrived and... it's extremely light. :)