Maestronet Forums

Cello rentals, WTF!

arglebargle

Has anyone else out there with a rental program noticed a huge uptick in cello rentals and/or requests? I've never seen anything like it. I now have a waiting list of around a dozen people, all adults, all looking to start playing the cello, and I get another call nearly every day. It feels like someone is screwing with me. I've never had a waiting list before! Is there something going on in the cultural zeitgeist that's giving all the grown-ups cello fever? Perhaps it's just in my area. Anyone else?

4 hours ago, arglebargle said:

Has anyone else out there with a rental program noticed a huge uptick in cello rentals and/or requests? I've never seen anything like it. I now have a waiting list of around a dozen people, all adults, all looking to start playing the cello, and I get another call nearly every day. It feels like someone is screwing with me. I've never had a waiting list before! Is there something going on in the cultural zeitgeist that's giving all the grown-ups cello fever? Perhaps it's just in my area. Anyone else?

1 hour ago, David A.T. said:

Just look at Netflix... Wednesday is playing cello.

Yup, you spotted it.  :rolleyes:  :lol:

https://screenrant.com/wednesday-show-jenna-ortega-cello-learn-details/

I was going to post the same, it has to be a primary driver.

The actress apparently started lessons two months prior to shooting that scene and does a convincing enough job to fool people into believing she’s playing.  I suspect a lot of folks think she really is playing and that they’ll be able to do the save after a similar period of time based on this comment from her:

“Actually, I learned to play the cello for Wednesday. I started working on the cello about two months before we started shooting.”

How many people do you think are reading that and believe she meant she PLAYED that piece after just two months?

I guess be prepared for a bunch of cellos to be returned when those same folks discover how much effort and dedication it really requires.

^I have a gloomy little spider.

I love to sit down close beside her.

She never knows where she has been 'cause all she does is spin and spin.

My spider's quite a busy roamer, which is why I called her Homer.

She loves to work and spin all day, and then at night she likes to play.

Her web is like my mother's hair.  

Her eyes have got my father's stare.

She may not jump or twist or bend, but a spider's a girl's best friend.

26 minutes ago, arglebargle said:

Netflix and Wednesday. Well I'll be damned. I thought that was a kids show.

Great series by Tim Burton based on the Charles Addams characters.

I particularly liked the variations on the Rolling Stone's "Paint It Black" that Wednesday "played" on the cello.

Not a kid's show, by the way. 

22 minutes ago, arglebargle said:

Netflix and Wednesday. Well I'll be damned. I thought that was a kids show. Aren't adults supposed to be less susceptible to that sort of cultural influence? Clearly not.

God help us when they launch a popular accordion-centered show.

I watched the whole season, most certainly not a kids’ show.  It’s well written and well directed by Tim Burton.

It's not a kids show (I'd classify it as a teen drama), but are adults usually inspired in that way?

Arglebargle, are any of the new cellists studying with the same teacher?

Also, Ortega's cello miming skills are hands-down the best I've ever seen on screen by a non-player. She blows Russel Crowe's efforts in Master and Commander out of the water and he (supposedly) took lessons for 3 months.  I was stunned to learn that she hadn't had a few years of lessons.

• 1 month later...

The real Wednesday, no, the first Wednesday among equals, passed away on January 28.  Maybe the Netflix success would have created some opportunities for her if she'd been in better health.

Something mentioned in the video comments that went over my head was you know how the premise of the show is everything is backwards; they value the opposite of other families?  Well, included in the opposites is the family's behavior which is the most functional and supportive family that could be imagined.  Probably the writers made them that way just to make the show more appealing, but maybe not. 

9 hours ago, Bill Merkel said:

( ... )

Something mentioned in the video comments that went over my head was you know how the premise of the show is everything is backwards; they value the opposite of other families?  Well, included in the opposites is the family's behavior which is the most functional and supportive family that could be imagined.  Probably the writers made them that way just to make the show more appealing, but maybe not. 

( video )

Made sense back then, watching re- runs of older tv shows. Did not see the original broadcast. But humor can be normalizing based on similar experiences.

Some of my pre- teen students have ( those who discuss memes ) down loaded what appears to be the sheet music. I encourage trying because of difficulty of the parts. One violin students started playing her sisters cello. Yay!

Maybe a 20% of my students do not own a television. 

7 hours ago, Rue said:

Lisa Loring didn’t seem to have had a very happy life. Sad. :(

Thank you for pointing this out.

The disposable aspect of our "culture," generally here where I live and our short attention spans, has made it difficult for children to have normal lives after becoming iconic in the entertainment industry. It might be about having bad parents, or being forgotten. We also tend to the same for the elderly after having iconic middling lives.

The subject is far too difficult to discuss here. It should at least be thought of? Sometime? But the connection goes back to something nostalgic and of talented children now and for the parent to perhaps better understand talent or the lack of. Let's also reflect on the cost of a cello rental. Also, the cello is the funniest Young Adult instrument. ( comedy writer meme )

On 12/27/2022 at 1:16 PM, arglebargle said:

The rental business for stringed instruments is a scam.  The music store gets the cheapest instruments from overseas, then they have you pay each month until VIOLA!, money wise, you actually have purchased that horrible instrument with all of your rental fees.  If you bring the instrument back, they just polish it and throw it back into the mix.  For example, the cheapest "new" cello I can find on eBay is $162.  So, if you pay just $18 per month in rental, when you return it to the music store you already paid for it.  But you're not paying just $18 per month.  You are probably paying double or maybe triple that amount in rental fees.  

On 12/27/2022 at 1:16 PM, arglebargle said:

47 minutes ago, Richard4u said:

The rental business for stringed instruments is a scam.  The music store gets the cheapest instruments from overseas, then they have you pay each month until VIOLA!, money wise, you actually have purchased that horrible instrument with all of your rental fees.

That seems rather harsh. I’ve never rented an instrument of any kind, but I am a business man and I’ve run the numbers and I don’t know how they make it work honestly. 

It’s certainly not a get rich quick scheme and the people offering the service have the satisfaction of knowing they provided a way for people to get into music who couldn’t otherwise “afford” it.

i put “afford” in quotation marks because it ultimately boils down to priorities.

Better said, they have offered the opportunity to help people establish their priorities.

That is nothing to shame IMHO.