Maestronet Forums

Bass Bar ?

H.R.Fisher

6 minutes ago, Brad Dorsey said:

I would, too.  It's complicated.

Me three.  And stop stealing my mantra.

The only thing I think I know (at the moment) is that over 4.5g and under 3.5g don't seem to work well, for the bar alone.  For the wood I use and the way I build.  Which is abnormal.

30 minutes ago, FiddleDoug said:

I'm glad my bassbar isn't in the pictures listed, at least for Google it's not a weird one.:P

1 hour ago, duane88 said:

Does anyone know if the bar heights that are given in the Hargrave link on Bass Bars are measured through the top or on the inside of the top?

Side nearest the centreline I believe

53 minutes ago, Don Noon said:

Either it is the bar height alone, or he's making bass bars ~3 mm lower than most.  I think it's the first one.

Yes 2-3mm ish lower @ 10 to 11 mm finished.  Roger believes the main purpose of the bassbar is for support and advocates for a balance between strength and lightness of response.

I've followed his method a few times and things have worked out well from a tonal perspective

9 hours ago, H.R.Fisher said:

I would like to better understand  what effect the bar angle, weight and design have on tone and playability. 

Thanks in advance for your responses,   Henry

Those are good questions but we don't even know what the optimum number of bass bars is.  It is well known that one bar is better than none but maybe two or three and so on is better still.

4 bass bars JPG.JPG

7 hours ago, Urban Luthier said:

Side nearest the centreline I believe

Yes 2-3mm ish lower @ 10 to 11 mm finished.  Roger believes the main purpose of the bassbar is for support and advocates for a balance between strength and lightness of response.

I've followed his method a few times and things have worked out well from a tonal perspective

Thanks. in SLC I was taught to measure the height of the bar on the inside, but a friend who worked for the Beckers was taught to measure through the top. One respected shop I know measures 14.3-5 through the top at the highest point, and I have seen Becker bars at the 10-11 mm that you suggest.

Time to consider lowering my bars...

Well, here's a bass bar that doesn't work!

From a violin I own. Maybe not the entire problem but a strong suspect.

The patent has expired so feel free to try it ;) Adam Szymanski was apparently an interesting character in the violin world. His reasoning is explained in the full patent. I tried to attach the pdf at the bottom. We'll see if it works-

- Tom

Szymanski_BassBar.jpg.2218af476985cd26b53551f8797be56d.jpgSzymanski_Label_Cropped.jpg.98b9bb606819928f9c02605a431cffa1.jpg

Szymanski Bass Bar US3014394.pdf