Maestronet Forums

Violin under 5000USD (8000AUD)

Matt Z

3 hours ago, deans said:

Just a quick search revealed a firm called whitehorse music out of sydney, maybe you could ask around about them.  Found because they stock Jay Haide. Dont want to sound like a shill for that particular brand, there are plenty of others, but it just happens to be something I have seen having good success, and perhaps a good low risk choice.

Agreed. I know next-to-nothing about fiddle businesses in Australia, but in the US, the Jay Haide fiddles are considered to really good bang for the buck.

16 hours ago, deans said:

Many here in the US are in the same situation, and much of the string world has lived off of mail order. Its not a big deal. 

Just a quick search revealed a firm called whitehorse music out of sydney, maybe you could ask around about them.  Found because they stock Jay Haide. Dont want to sound like a shill for that particular brand, there are plenty of others, but it just happens to be something I have seen having good success, and perhaps a good low risk choice.

Believe whitehorse is in Melbourne. Also owner will play violin and post to YouTube if interested in sound. He has a channel with past requests. Olafs and the Sydney string centre also have channels, the former is more informative and entertaining than sales (hence more relevant to me).

23 hours ago, mysticpaw said:

Hello ... what level player are you? 

Finally I can reply.

I'm not a professional violinist. My teacher said I'm an advance hobbyist. Nonetheless, every violin player who loves playing deserve a decent instrument regardless of the skill. 

On 11/10/2022 at 7:21 PM, Strad O Various Jr. said:

How bad are the violins in Adelaide, have you looked at smaller shops, I'm a small business, operate out of my house, I'm a lot cheaper than the big shops you hear of locally, is that possible in Adelaide

Have you tried this guy; https://www.australianplanet.com/james-robinson-violin-shop-adelaide-cbd-sa-F1A06C80218D6

I passed by that location many times I don't think that business still exists but I can visit and confirm. Thank you!

23 minutes ago, TZEENTCHAU said:

Believe whitehorse is in Melbourne. Also owner will play violin and post to YouTube if interested in sound. He has a channel with past requests. Olafs and the Sydney string centre also have channels, the former is more informative and entertaining than sales (hence more relevant to me).

Melbourne is closer and more convenient for me. There are a few string instruments I want to visit.

It's not easy to get an appointment with Olaf's store.

I also heard good things about East European makers like Hungarian and Bulgarian luthiers. Any opinion about them?

Cheers

Matt

10 hours ago, Matt Z said:

Finally I can reply.

I'm not a professional violinist. My teacher said I'm an advance hobbyist. Nonetheless, every violin player who loves playing deserve a decent instrument regardless of the skill. 

I passed by that location many times I don't think that business still exists but I can visit and confirm. Thank you!

Melbourne is closer and more convenient for me. There are a few string instruments I want to visit.

It's not easy to get an appointment with Olaf's store.

I also heard good things about East European makers like Hungarian and Bulgarian luthiers. Any opinion about them?

Cheers

Matt

Before embarking interstate you may wish to enquire into what some of the other posters are mentioning.

My observations of previous posts, is try not to limit a purchase based on a manufacturers/luthiers provenance.

Also I think the other thing the others are trying to hint at, is what is it you are after in a new instrument over your current one(find at fault) with your current instrument). What does it prohibit you from doing? Will you get this on an 8k aud violin?

Can you wait and save for when your ideal instrument turns up (or put name down with an appropriate luthier).

For the masters out there, I am quite keen to make sure I am summarising well and heading on the correct path of enquiry.

On 11/9/2022 at 7:31 AM, Cincitaipei said:

If you say where you are in Australia, folk might be able to advice on good dealers/shops. 5000 is high enough that you're wanting something above the typical factory instrument. Also: what are you playing now? What do you want to change about it?

On 11/10/2022 at 8:41 AM, deans said:

Many here in the US are in the same situation, and much of the string world has lived off of mail order. Its not a big deal. 

Talk withJohn Simmers.  He has an excellent shop line of instruments. SIMMERS VIOLINS - JOHN SIMMERS VIOLIN MAKER 20 Argyle St, RED HILL, QLD 4059, Australia +61 408 217 560

on we go,

Joe

5 hours ago, TZEENTCHAU said:

Before embarking interstate you may wish to enquire into what some of the other posters are mentioning.

My observations of previous posts, is try not to limit a purchase based on a manufacturers/luthiers provenance.

Also I think the other thing the others are trying to hint at, is what is it you are after in a new instrument over your current one(find at fault) with your current instrument). What does it prohibit you from doing? Will you get this on an 8k aud violin?

Can you wait and save for when your ideal instrument turns up (or put name down with an appropriate luthier).

For the masters out there, I am quite keen to make sure I am summarising well and heading on the correct path of enquiry.

Thank you for your advice.

The reasons I'm seeking another instrument is 

1) My current violin is slightly bigger for me. It has a stop length of 198mm and string length of 333mm. Still under a playable condition but for a player with small hand, I find it a bit challenging.

2) The violin also have a reponse problem especially on higher positions which is kind of annoying.

So now I'm seeking a violin with slim neck, ideally a string length from 325~328mm

Of course I can wait for a short period of time but not long.

If I have a few years to wait I know a Chinese maker accept custom violin orders. The price is not too high, but you have wait 5 years. That's too long for me.

3 hours ago, joerobson said:

Talk withJohn Simmers.  He has an excellent shop line of instruments. SIMMERS VIOLINS - JOHN SIMMERS VIOLIN MAKER 20 Argyle St, RED HILL, QLD 4059, Australia +61 408 217 560

on we go,

Joe

Thank you Joe. Will take a look!

15 hours ago, Matt Z said:

Thank you for your advice.

The reasons I'm seeking another instrument is 

1) My current violin is slightly bigger for me. It has a stop length of 198mm and string length of 333mm. Still under a playable condition but for a player with small hand, I find it a bit challenging.

2) The violin also have a reponse problem especially on higher positions which is kind of annoying.

So now I'm seeking a violin with slim neck, ideally a string length from 325~328mm

Of course I can wait for a short period of time but not long.

If I have a few years to wait I know a Chinese maker accept custom violin orders. The price is not too high, but you have wait 5 years. That's too long for me.

Thank you Joe. Will take a look!

There are others here which are much better suited at assisting finding an appropriate violin with the info above. I am also an advanced hobbyist, though I also want to also learn how to make. 

Having upgraded a few times (though I always kept the old violin as i am sentimental), I found that if i had put more thought in initially and not rushed I could have saved on many of the intermediate levels, knowing my path was set. 

The way I look at it, is if there is a good chance you will need to upgrade in 5 years again, delaying your investment now would take a sizeable chunk out of the cost of a Burgess or Darnton -though need to balance with your immediate needs.