Maestronet Forums

Violin under 5000USD (8000AUD)

Matt Z

Hi all!

I'm seeking a violin under 5000USD (8000AUD). I live in Australia at the moment. Here the opportunity to access fine instrument is fewer than, let's say the US and UK.

I understand it's hard to buy any known maker's violin at this price range. But do you have any recommendation maybe some young potential makers instrument or some Chinese makers seem having great value.

Old instrument is risky unless I can try and return is accepted, otherwise I rather trust some new stuff.

Cheers

2 minutes ago, deans said:

The Jay Haide line is popular around here. It would be my first choice. Or another similar well set up Chinese instrument.

Are Jay Haide's intruments available worldwide? Chinese instrument is a very wide range. Essentially there are so many makers. People recommend some VSA award winning Chinese maker's intrument but I've never tried any.

If you are in Sydney, the north shore has a few close enough together (Sydney strings in chatswood, violinery in lindfield, the violin centre gordon, or Vivaldi's in epping). Pity, you are late by a few years as you could have got a new vatiliotis in that budget (2nd hand typically would likely be outside of your budget), which was my choice.

You might try Olaf Grawert's shop. 

https://olafgrawertviolinstudio.com/product-category/instruments/

I don't have any experience with his instruments, but I enjoy his Youtube videos! His instruments are out of your price range, but he offers chinese-made instruments that he sets up and endorses that are well within your price range. He's based in Australia so you might be able to hear them in person to judge for yourself. 

there is possibility to get nice french instruments MUCH BETTER than chinese crap for 5000 usd. Look for  Diedonne Lavest , Collenot etc. Posting to AU costs 150 approx or even better. Do not see any reason you should by Hayde if you can get in Europe much better ones for same price. I have sold to AU many instruments and all owners said in Au they can not easily find such instruments and they are generally much more expensive.

When it comes to Jay Haides, other than fractionals, I almost never see them for sale in the used market, and there's a fair number around here. Its hard to say what the resale value is. But I think two things are at play, they are relatively easy to trade through the teaching community, and some people just keep them, even after upgrading.

French or German trade instruments can also be a great choice, if you find one you like go with it. 

Thank you all for your recommendations.

Sorry for the late reply. Since I am a new user, the forum limits how many message I can reply per day.

To answer your question:

1. I live in Adelaide. The only two stores sell fine violins are Harrison and Size music. So there’s limited exposure to instruments.

2. I can travel interstate and possibly to Europe. But I also have work commitment so I can only travel during Christmas when most of the stores are closed.

3. I’m currently playing a French trade violin. I understand in some cases they can have high value but the chances are low and comes with great risk. If possible I would like to have a more modern work. Not necessarily brand new but you get what I meant.

4. Olaf’s waiting list is very long. I know his famous but it seems the earliest appointment is next February.

5. I’m a bit worry about buying violin online and ship to my place. Unless it’s a reputable seller and return is acceptable.

6. I don’t really care about provenance of the violin. As people mentioned in this thread, fake Italian and French violin is very common on the market especially eBay. So, no matter it’s an Italian, French, German, Hungary, Chinese etc. I only care about the tone and the work.

Thank you all for you recommendation, I will do some research on these recommended store and makers.

Cheers

On 11/8/2022 at 8:12 PM, Matt Z said:

Hi all!

I'm seeking a violin under 5000USD (8000AUD). I live in Australia at the moment. Here the opportunity to access fine instrument is fewer than, let's say the US and UK.

I understand it's hard to buy any known maker's violin at this price range. But do you have any recommendation maybe some young potential makers instrument or some Chinese makers seem having great value.

Old instrument is risky unless I can try and return is accepted, otherwise I rather trust some new stuff.

Cheers

Although I'm aware prices may be higher in Australia, I would have to highly recommend buying from an Australian violin shop where you can try multiple violins in your price range and pick your favourite. Buying online from USA is a crapshoot as if you don't like the violin you order which is highly likely the cost of returning it, shipping both ways will be astronomical. It cost me $250 to ship a violin to my Uncle in Australia and it was held up in customs for two weeks, add to that the cost of shipping back to the USA is much higher from Australia, I believe. And don't just go to one store in Australia, visit as many as you can comfortably get to, and if there are no stores near you the cost of shipping both ways will be much cheaper within Australia than internationally.

There's no point in recommending makers and brands, its playing the violins live a deciding what you prefer that matters, a name won't make a violin sound better, some of my best violins are anonymous with no label.

Maybe a road trip to Melbourne would be in order, or if you can wait till you're in Europe you could probably find a good violin for less

4 minutes ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

Although I'm aware prices may be higher in Australia, I would have to highly recommend buying from an Australian violin shop where you can try multiple violins in your price range and pick your favourite. Buying online from USA is a crapshoot as if you don't like the violin you order which is highly likely the cost of returning it, shipping both ways will be astronomical. It cost me $250 to ship a violin to my Uncle in Australia and it was held up in customs for two weeks, add to that the cost of shipping back to the USA is much higher from Australia, I believe. And don't just go to one store in Australia, visit as many as you can comfortably get to, and if there are no stores near you the cost of shipping both ways will be much cheaper within Australia than internationally

I do believe that’s a good way but also consider if I go to major city for a few days, for instance, Sydney. The cost of traveling will be more than 2000 dollars as well.

8 minutes ago, Matt Z said:

I do believe that’s a good way but also consider if I go to major city for a few days, for instance, Sydney. The cost of traveling will be more than 2000 dollars as well.

How bad are the violins in Adelaide, have you looked at smaller shops, I'm a small business, operate out of my house, I'm a lot cheaper than the big shops you hear of locally, is that possible in Adelaide

Have you tried this guy; https://www.australianplanet.com/james-robinson-violin-shop-adelaide-cbd-sa-F1A06C80218D6

7 hours ago, Matt Z said:

Many here in the US are in the same situation, and much of the string world has lived off of mail order. Its not a big deal. 

Just a quick search revealed a firm called whitehorse music out of sydney, maybe you could ask around about them.  Found because they stock Jay Haide. Dont want to sound like a shill for that particular brand, there are plenty of others, but it just happens to be something I have seen having good success, and perhaps a good low risk choice.