Maestronet Forums

Store and keep hide glue

Jimmyjoe

As long as the glue is kept dry it will last indefinitely. I keep mine in either glass bottles or ziplock plastic bags. You can definitely reheat the glue a couple times if you keep it in a refrigerator  between heating. it will actually be strongest on the second heating and will go down in strength after that.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/6/2022 at 2:35 AM, Jimmyjoe said:

Hello there...I was looking some information in this forum, but I could't fine it. Basically: 1) Which one is the best way to store hide glue when you open the original plastic bag? 2) May I keep the hide glue when I have heated it once, and use it again?

Thanks!

For the first question, it depends on the type of glue. Elmers is pretty solid, so I would keep it in the bag. For other types of glue, the best thing to do is to put it in the fridge. The next question is a little tricky to answer, so I'll give you a slightly different answer. Basically, you only want to heat up your glue once. I guess the point of heating it is to allow it to flow more evenly, which is definitely a good reason to heat it. But the act of heating creates more surface area, more area that the glue can gel. This means that the glue becomes less durable, and will eventually fail. If you do heat it up, I would keep the glue in a bag, and keep it in the cooler for a few days.

Edited by Kevin_D

4 hours ago, Kevin_D said:

For the first question, it depends on the type of glue. Elmers is pretty solid, so I would keep it in the bag. For other types of glue, the best thing to do is to put it in the fridge. The next question is a little tricky to answer, so I'll give you a slightly different answer. Basically, you only want to heat up your glue once. I guess the point of heating it is to allow it to flow more evenly, which is definitely a good reason to heat it. But the act of heating creates more surface area, more area that the glue can gel. This means that the glue becomes less durable, and will eventually fail. If you do heat it up, I would keep the glue in a bag, and keep it in the cooler for a few days.

You’re way off base on most of what you said!
Elmer’ glue is a liquid, not a solid, and comes in a bottle, not a bag.

The OP specifically asked about hide glue. Hide glue is gelled at room temperature, and must be heated to even get it to flow. Hide glue solution/gel can be reheated and used several times. Keep it in the fridge between uses. Heating creates more surface area? What are you talking about?  If you want to talk about molecular weight of the collagen chains, yes, long term heating, especially at higher temperatures can break down the chain length, and reduce the strength. 

I just glued the top on a violin using glue I mixed up 2 years ago, and stored on a shelf in the shop, unrefrigerated.  I have heated it a few times.  To prevent mold, I have a bottle of water with a bromine tablet in it, and use that water to lightly wet the top of the glue after it has gelled.  Works great.

However, for something where I'd want maximum strength (like a neck), I'd mix up fresh glue.