Tarisio Nov NY

Derek Law

Pretty interesting set of violins.

Somehow the Bruch sample played makes me feel that none of the violins recorded give a "soprano" feel, the P. Guarneri of Venice one feels like its strength is in the lower strings. Just impression. Want to know what pros here feel after listening to the samples.

The Gregg Alf's label gives me a giggle. the "AS" sign in circle, with "Alf Studios" above it, haha

There is even an early Bissolotti.

Shelbow and others - ignoring price, which one of those violin lots you think is the most attractive?

10 hours ago, Shelbow said:

Nothing super exciting for me, but I do like the C A Testore. But I like the Testore family instruments in general, so there is no real logic to my choice.

What about the Testore family that attracts you? I think some of the later makers were trashed a lot in the literature.

1 hour ago, Derek Law said:

What about the Testore family that attracts you? I think some of the later makers were trashed a lot in the literature.

I like them because they are a bit different, a bit simplified in places and a bit loose in construction but in an endearing way. I also really love some of the scrolls, I think they have a lot of character.

On 10/27/2022 at 9:25 PM, Shelbow said:

I like them because they are a bit different, a bit simplified in places and a bit loose in construction but in an endearing way. I also really love some of the scrolls, I think they have a lot of character.

I would agree, and often can sound excellent too.

2 hours ago, Dave Slight said:

I would agree, and often can sound excellent too.

100%, I forgot to mention that too!

I am often in close proximity to a couple of C A Testore's and they do sound wonderful.

If my money situation was unlimited, I would surely like to own quite a few Testore family instruments.

The Guarneri definitely has a lot more power on the recording.  Different miking?  Or just a different beast?

Be curious about impressions of the Serafin.  One of the nicest fiddles I ever tried was by him.  This video has some character but not a ton of projection.

59 minutes ago, Dwight Brown said:

The Guarneri has really extensive patches on the top. Maybe the most I've ever seen.

DLB

101701_CR_Guarneri _Lot 167.pdf 1.73 MB · 3 downloads

Thank you! Not that I had $1 million to bid, but I was wondering why such minimal interest in this piece of history!  I think if I had the money, I would still buy it.  It comes with Perlman correspondences!

4 hours ago, violinnewb said:

Thank you! Not that I had $1 million to bid, but I was wondering why such minimal interest in this piece of history!  I think if I had the money, I would still buy it.  It comes with Perlman correspondences!

It may play just fine. It just seemed like a lot to me. However I’m not anything like knowledgeable. I Agee thought, I’m a huge Perlman fan. I would love to meet him. He has played at my school in the summer.

DLB

On 10/26/2022 at 9:34 AM, Derek Law said:

( ... )

Somehow the Bruch sample played makes me feel that none of the violins recorded give a "soprano" feel, the P. Guarneri of Venice one feels like its strength is in the lower strings. Just impression.

( ... )

That "soprano" quality is something that might be contemplated.

No one will make any money from this unoriginal concept, but Venician instruments are interesting. Having spent time with violins to cello, many can have a much more vocal quality. 'course the player matters...

Without saying much more, simpletons are we. There are fantastic sounds from everywhere. Because of this obsession with Cremona, I looked extensively from Bologna, Mantua, Milan. About once a month, as a pre-teen, I heard a Neopolitan instrument in class, which was both sweet and bitter as it played the parts better than I ever could.

Generally, one might look for more expressive, elastic lower end. But the higher end can not be subordinate. I have many DG violin outlines, but the e-string is as good, if not better than the g- string. The audience hears the e- and the quality/ complexity matters. A powerful but solid lower end is fine, but then the e- must be very expressive.

There are many older instruments ( in my opinion ) from other areas that have amazing voices. 

7 hours ago, Dwight Brown said:

The Guarneri has really extensive patches on the top. Maybe the most I've ever seen.

If the new owner does not care, it should not be an issue. There is the price issue... but restorations now are beyond competent.

It is still cheaper for me to acquire a fine modern instrument. But if the veneered Vuillaume sounds better and the price is reasonable, that would be an instrument of interest. Certainly many of the restored Strads have sounded better than the ones my acquaintances owned. I would rather the Aston Martin than worked than the one that hid in the shed. 

14 hours ago, Dwight Brown said:

It may play just fine. It just seemed like a lot to me. However I’m not anything like knowledgeable. I Agee thought, I’m a huge Perlman fan. I would love to meet him. He has played at my school in the summer.

DLB

If I had $1 million dollars, I would not necessarily be purchasing the ex-Perlman to play as my daily instrument.  It would definitely be my collector's piece, but alas, I am neither rich nor a collector!

13 hours ago, GoPractice said:

If the new owner does not care, it should not be an issue. There is the price issue... but restorations now are beyond competent.

It is still cheaper for me to acquire a fine modern instrument. But if the veneered Vuillaume sounds better and the price is reasonable, that would be an instrument of interest. Certainly many of the restored Strads have sounded better than the ones my acquaintances owned. I would rather the Aston Martin than worked than the one that hid in the shed. 

Hi GoPractice!

1. I am curious as to what "price issue?"  First, its a Guarneri.  Second, its an ex-Perlman Guarneri.  Third, it comes with letters to and from Perlman and you get the pleasure of showing the YouTube of 14 yr old Perlman playing on the violin! :D I guess its similar, albeit loosely, to owning Albert Pujol's 700th homerun baseball.  The baseball is used, and cost $3 to make, but its attached to a legendary player and has historical significance.  Worth $1 million? Maybe not, but if you had money to spare, would $500,000 minimum bid on the ex-Perlman be an "issue?"

2. Indeed.  $20,000 could get me a fine Darnton violin that I would immensely enjoy (based upon my one experience trying one out), but I don't think I would be using the ex-Perlman as my daily driver.  Speaking of Aston Martins, you have fine tastes in cars.  I would drive a Vanquish as my daily driver, but to know that I have a 64 DB5 in my shed....that's stuff dreams are made of.

1 hour ago, violinnewb said:

Hi GoPractice!

1. I am curious as to what "price issue?"  First, its a Guarneri.  Second, its an ex-Perlman Guarneri.  Third, it comes with letters to and from Perlman and you get the pleasure of showing the YouTube of 14 yr old Perlman playing on the violin! :D I guess its similar, albeit loosely, to owning Albert Pujol's 700th homerun baseball.  The baseball is used, and cost $3 to make, but its attached to a legendary player and has historical significance.  Worth $1 million? Maybe not, but if you had money to spare, would $500,000 minimum bid on the ex-Perlman be an "issue?"

2. Indeed.  $20,000 could get me a fine Darnton violin that I would immensely enjoy (based upon my one experience trying one out), but I don't think I would be using the ex-Perlman as my daily driver.  Speaking of Aston Martins, you have fine tastes in cars.  I would drive a Vanquish as my daily driver, but to know that I have a 64 DB5 in my shed....that's stuff dreams are made of.

I remember a certain Aston Martin being demonstrated at the New York Worlds Fair when I was kid. I think it was a DB-5.

DLB

57 minutes ago, martin swan said:

Dwight I'm not sure of the ins and outs but the condition report is only available on request so in a sense it's not really public domain - you might need to ask Tarisio for authorisation to post it on a public forum.

You may be right. There wasn’t any restriction mentioned and they sent it to me but out of an abundance of caution I will take care of it.

Thanks,

DLB

I believe if they really wanted these to be confidential you would have to sign some sort of nondisclosure form, or at least it would have some verbiage to that effect. Perhaps it is in the user agreement  for the site, which I did way too long ago. I suspect they make you request them mainly for marketing purposes, to see what people are interested in.

• 2 weeks later...