Maestronet Forums

Seeking Info on Roman Teufel Violin

Eddie Merribaker

Hello, friends! I recently came into possession of a violin made by Roman Teufel. In my rather vast collection of violin reference books, I could only find a couple mentions—namely that his violins date from the early 1800’s and that he hailed from the Mittenwald region. The workmanship is high-quality, and both of the books I own that have entries on Teufel praise his violins’ “haunting, singing tone.”

Just trying to ascertain the value. Mine has a fascinating backstory and I’m hoping to trade notes with anyone out there whom also owns a Roman Teufel violin. Thanks! 

Edited by Eddie Merribaker
Additional Details

1 hour ago, FiddleDoug said:

Just for laughs, Google translate says that Teufel means Devil. Are you sure you want to keep that around?

And Roman (in German) translates to "novel". It's always possible that a maker isn't listed in any of the big dictionaries like Lüttgendorf, or that it's just a dealer's or repairer's label, but counting together "devil's novel" and the tale about "haunting sound" it's likely that someone just made a spooky joke, which was copied by another encyclopedist and was the model for a spurious label, counting on the usual flawed assumption "Who the devil would fake a Teufel label".B)

But I'm curious for the photos.

Teufel is not absurd as a surname. The former prime minister of the Land of Bade-Wurttemberg was Erwin Teufel. This map shows it's primarily a name in the SW/South. https://www.kartezumnamen.eu/index.php?sur=teufel&s=Suchen .

(As for Roman as a given name, this site claims it took up in Germany in the 1950s though the former president of Germany, Roman Herzog, was born in 1934. https://www.beliebte-vornamen.de/16660-roman.htm . I personally would expect a builder named Roman Teufel to be a 20th century person, 2nd half. Though Mittenwald isn't a bad place for the name.) 

13 hours ago, pyrola_asarifolia said:

Teufel is not absurd as a surname. The former prime minister of the Land of Bade-Wurttemberg was Erwin Teufel. This map shows it's primarily a name in the SW/South. https://www.kartezumnamen.eu/index.php?sur=teufel&s=Suchen .

(As for Roman as a given name, this site claims it took up in Germany in the 1950s though the former president of Germany, Roman Herzog, was born in 1934. https://www.beliebte-vornamen.de/16660-roman.htm . I personally would expect a builder named Roman Teufel to be a 20th century person, 2nd half. Though Mittenwald isn't a bad place for the name.) 

That’s all valid, nonetheless I’m guessing it’s a sort of Halloween joke.

On 10/21/2022 at 6:54 PM, pyrola_asarifolia said:

I read in a book about German first names that the name Roman was a popular name in the early 1800s. I’ve also read that Teufel is not that uncommon of a last name in Germany. A quick google search bears this out.

On 10/21/2022 at 1:34 PM, Blank face said:

And Roman (in German) translates to "novel". It's always possible that a maker isn't listed in any of the big dictionaries like Lüttgendorf, or that it's just a dealer's or repairer's label, but counting together "devil's novel" and the tale about "haunting sound" it's likely that someone just made a spooky joke, which was copied by another encyclopedist and was the model for a spurious label, counting on the usual flawed assumption "Who the devil would fake a Teufel label".B)

But I'm curious for the photos.

The label is legit. I’ve even heard from a couple people on Facebook that own (or have owned) violins made by Teufel. I own several very high-end violins, and to my ears, the Teufel has them all beat. She’s done wonders for my creative muse. 

7 hours ago, Eddie Merribaker said:

The label is legit. I’ve even heard from a couple people on Facebook that own (or have owned) violins made by Teufel. I own several very high-end violins, and to my ears, the Teufel has them all beat. She’s done wonders for my creative muse. 

You might excuse the speculations and jokes about this rather extraordinary maker's name, but we are used to judge violins by more than just hearsay and still waiting for photos for several days. I guess that most people here are very curious to learn about relative unknown makers, but in the actual state that's not possible.

Even some quick shots by a phone might give an idea, and there's a description how to take proper photos pinned at the top of this website.

11 hours ago, Blank face said:

You might excuse the speculations and jokes about this rather extraordinary maker's name, but we are used to judge violins by more than just hearsay and still waiting for photos for several days. I guess that most people here are very curious to learn about relative unknown makers, but in the actual state that's not possible.

Just to clarify, I implied in no way that I think it's more likely than not that this is the name of a real maker. Most of the names on labels are fictional after all. Just that this German doesn't think this is a weird or particularly remarkable name. (Yeah, with all the devil-violin associations I also do understand why some may make jokes.)

In fact, if there is a maker with this Realname he would have to be flying pretty deeply under the radar. I can find a video/film producer with a studio and a single documentary that made it on critics' radar. 

On 10/23/2022 at 6:04 PM, pyrola_asarifolia said:

Just to clarify, I implied in no way that I think it's more likely than not that this is the name of a real maker. Most of the names on labels are fictional after all. Just that this German doesn't think this is a weird or particularly remarkable name. (Yeah, with all the devil-violin associations I also do understand why some may make jokes.)

In fact, if there is a maker with this Realname he would have to be flying pretty deeply under the radar. I can find a video/film producer with a studio and a single documentary that made it on critics' radar. 

I’m new to this message board. I’m also under the weather. I will figure out how to post pics when I feel better.  It is indeed true,  “A picture’s worth a thousand words.”