Thoughts on this Fetique Gold Mounted Bow?

violinnewb

1 hour ago, Brad Dorsey said:

Given the pre-sale estimate, the auction house obviously does not think this is a real Fetique.  If you are looking for a bow to play, you really should shop where you can try them.

Agreed.  However, I am not a professional violinist nor do I have the monetary resources to purchase a $4k to $8k bow.  I already have a good bow, but I play ALOT and feel like I'm really putting alot of miles on my only wood bow.

16 minutes ago, Shelbow said:

I can't read the stamp very well, is this bow stamped twice as that is what the listing is suggesting.

Thank you for moving the thread to the appropriate forum!

I can't read any "brand" or stamp from any of the pictures but the posting says that it is branded Caressa & Français and Jules Fetique a Paris .

I don't know what this means.  As mentioned by Mr. Dorsey, the low starting bid got me curious as to whether this bow is genuine or not.

Jules Fétique did make bows for Caressa & Francais but I can't imagine that firm ever selling a bow with such wonky head chamfers.

the button is obviously too small for the stick and the stick has been "tapered down" to make it look better, the frog doesn't appear to fit and the stick has been messed about with under the frog ... ergo the mounts don't belong IMHO

18 minutes ago, martin swan said:

Jules Fétique did make bows for Caressa & Francais but I can't imagine that firm ever selling a bow with such wonky head chamfers.

the button is obviously too small for the stick and the stick has been "tapered down" to make it look better, the frog doesn't appear to fit and the stick has been messed about with under the frog ... ergo the mounts don't belong IMHO

YOU.ARE.AWESOME!

Thank you.

Dear All,

This is utterly my fault - and thank you for flagging it up.

At the first pass, I thought the brand looked like that of Fetique. I was wrong - it was Caressa & Francais. I changed it in the title, but it seems I forgot to change the brand in the description. Entirely my fault - changed on the catalogue and a small sale-room notice of shame.

Sorry again - and thank you for pointing it out!

Best wishes

James